Men's Basketball |
Oct. 29, 2012
Final Stats |
UNIVERSITY OF CINCINNATI MEN’S BASKETBALL
2012 POSTGAME NOTES
Cincinnati (1-0): 80, Grand Valley State (0-1): 60
October 29, 2012 // Fifth Third Arena // Cincinnati, Ohio
- Monday marked the first meeting between the two schools.
- UC drew 5,375 to the exhibition opener. It was UC’s largest crowd for an exhibition game since Nov. 12, 2009 when 6,653 were in Fifth Third Arena for a 76-69 win over Bellarmine. The Bearcats sold out of tickets in the student section for the exhibition opener, the first time that has occurred since the 1999-2000 campaign.
- UC lead 38-29 at the half and only trailed once in the game with the score 6-5.
- UC used a 19-6 run out of halftime to lead 57-35 with 15:01 to go. During that span, UC had a 13-0 run over 2:35 that featured a triple apiece from Kilpatrick, Parker and Rubles.
- UC turned 13 GVSU turnovers into 14 points and converted 15 offensive rebounds into 12 second-chance points.
- UC held Grand Valley to 60 points from the field and a 22-of-57 (.386) shooting performance. UC was 12-3 a year ago when holding foes to 51-60 points and 15-1 when opponents shot under 40 percent.
- Titus Rubles, Shaquille Thomas and David Nyarsuk each saw their first action for the Bearcats.
- Nyarsuk (7-1) is the tallest player in UC basketball history.
- UC was led by four players in double figures, including Sean Kilpatrick's game-high 18 points. JaQuon Parker finished with 14, Cashmere Wright had 12 and Titus Rubles added 11.
- Kilpatrick was 6-of-14 from the field including 2-of-7 from the three-point line and 4-of-6 from the stripe. He also added eight boards and two assists.
- Rubles and Kilpatrick tied for the game high with eight rebounds.
- Parker was 5-for-5 from the charity stripe and pulled down six rebounds, including four on the offensive glass. It was his 17th career double-digit scoring game.
- Wright tied with GVSU's Breland Hogan for a game-high four assists.
- The Lakers were led by 17 from Kristers Eidaks and 10 from Tyrone Lee.
- Cheikh Mbodj had five of UC's seven blocked shots.
- UC will play Bellarmine at 7 p.m. on Monday, Nov. 5, 2012 inside Fifth Third Arena. The game will be streamed for free through Bearcats TV on GoBEARCATS.com. Tom Gelehrter (play-by-play) and Chuck Maychock (analyst) will have the call.
- The Bearcats open the 2012-13 regular season on Sunday, Nov. 11 at 2 p.m. ET against UT Martin in Fifth Third Arena. The game will be televised by FOX Spots Ohio and air on 700 WLW AM.