Nov. 2, 2013
Final Stats |
UNIVERSITY OF CINCINNATI MEN'S BASKETBALL
2013-14 POSTGAME NOTES
Cincinnati: 84; Bellarmine 72
November 2, 2013 // Fifth Third Arena // Cincinnati, Ohio // Attendance: 5, 578
- The Bearcats and Knights have met three previous times in exhibition play with Cincinnati winning each contest. The teams last met in preseason action last season with UC earning an 86-51 victory.
- Cincinnati is now 4-0 against Bellarmine during the Mick Cronin era. All matchups took place during the exhibition portion of UC's schedule, including a 77-58 decision on Nov. 3, 2007, a 76-69 win on Nov. 12, 2009, an 86-51 victory on Nov. 5, 2012 and today's 84-72 win. All four games took place at Fifth Third Arena.
- The two teams have met twice during the regular season. UC won 85-72 on Nov. 28, 1881 and 81-70 on Nov. 29, 1982. Both contests were played at Riverfront Coliseum (now known as U.S. Bank Arena).
- UC starters: Titus Rubles (F) Shaquille Thomas (F), Justin Jackson (F), Ge'Lawn Guyn (G), Sean Kilpatrick (G).
- The Bellarmine Knights did not attempt a shot from inside the arc until the 13:05 mark in the first half. During the run, BU was 5-6 from beyond the 3-point line and led the game 15-8. The first 2-point shot attempt for Bellarmine was a layup by Josh Derksen that was blocked by Cincinnati's Justin Jackson.
- Bellarmine led by as many as eight points at 15-7 early in the first half.
- The Knights led 30-25 before UC scored six straight points to earn its first lead of the day at 31-30. Jeremiah Davis III and Jermaine Lawrence both scored on layups before Lawrence sank two free throws to put the Bearcats ahead.
- Cincinnati scored 15 straight points in the beginning of the second half to take the lead for good and go ahead 52-41. The scoring run lasted 3:52.
- After allowing nine 3-point baskets in the first half, the Bearcats only gave up three in the second half to hold the Knights to 13-of-34 (38.2 percent) shooting from beyond the arc.
- The Bearcats got to the foul line 25 times in the game, making 23 shots for 65.7 percent shooting. Bellarmine only attempted 12 free throws, making nine (75.0 percent).
- Cincinnati forced 18 turnovers while only committing 10. The Bearcats also collected 14 steals to the Knights' five.
- Cincinnati outscored Bellarmine 48-20 in the paint. UC also led in points off turnovers (25-8), second-chance points (12-4), fast break points (16-7) and bench points (19-11).
- Each team had four scorers in double digits.
- Sean Kilpatrick led all scorers with 24 points. He was 7 of 10 from the field with two 3-pointers and 8 of 8 from the foul line.
- Justin Jackson scored 19 points which would have set a career high during regular-season play. The senior also recorded nine rebounds, one shy of a double-double performance.
- Titus Rubles had 13 points and Jermaine Lawrence had 10 to round out Cincinnati's double-digit scorers.
- UC opens the 2013-14 regular season on Friday, Nov. 8 against North Carolina Central at Fifth Third Arena. The game tips at 8 p.m., and will be broadcast on ESPN3.