Nov. 8, 2013
Box Score |
Photo Gallery |
USATSI Photo Gallery
UNIVERSITY OF CINCINNATI MEN'S BASKETBALL
2013-14 POSTGAME NOTES
Cincinnati 74, North Carolina Central 61
November 8, 2013 // Fifth Third Arena // Cincinnati, Ohio // Attendance: 6,532
- Friday night marked the tip off of the 113th season of Cincinnati basketball.
- Cincinnati and North Carolina Central had never faced one another prior to Friday night.
- The Bearcats’ season opener versus North Carolina Central goes down as the earliest in school history with the previous being Nov. 9, 2007 at home against Belmont (L, 86-75).
- UC starters: Titus Rubles (F) Shaquille Thomas (F), Justin Jackson (F), Ge'Lawn Guyn (G), Sean Kilpatrick (G).
- Cincinnati has now won six consecutive season openers (7-1 overall under Mick Cronin).
- UC is 31-2 in its last 33 season openers.
- The Bearcats are 40-4 in the last 44 nonconference regular-season home games.
- Cincinnati didn’t record its first field goal until 14:33 in the first half on a Justin Jackson layup.
- The Bearcats took their first lead of the game at 8:39 in the first half (17-16) on a pair of Kilpatrick free throws. They never relinquished the lead.
- After trailing 16-10 with 10:02 remaining in the first half, UC went on a 30-10 run to close out the first half and take a 40-26 lead at the intermission.
- NCCU outscored the Bearcats, 35-34, in the second half and was within five points of UC with 7:04 remaining in the game.
- UC surpassed the 70-point mark for the first time since Jan. 19, 2013 versus Marquette (W, 71-69 in overtime).
- Shaquille Thomas and Ge’Lawn Guyn recorded their first career starts on Friday night.
- Troy Caupain, Kevin Johnson and Jermaine Lawrence played in their first collegiate game.
- Sean Kilpatrick finished with 22 points, which marked the 19th time he has scored 20 or more points and the 78th time that he has scored in double-figures. He also moves into 15th place all-time in UC scoring history with 1,466 points, surpassing Dwight Jones (1,789 points from 1980-83). He didn’t record a point until 9:08 in the first half, which came on a layup.
- Jermaine Sanders set a career high in points with 13. He also tied a career high in three-point field goals with three and logged a career high 31 minutes.
- Titus Rubles notched 13 points for his eighth double-figure scoring game of his career.
- Guyn tied a career high in three pointers made with two (twice; last versus Chicago State, Dec. 23, 2011).