Men's Basketball |
Nov. 18, 2008
Box Score |
2008 CINCINNATI MEN’S BASKETBALL POSTGAME NOTES
Texas Southern at Cincinnati l Nov. 18, 2008
Fifth Third Arena – Cincinnati, Ohio
• Records: Cincinnati – 2-0, 0-0 BIG EAST; Texas Southern – 0-2, 0-0 SWAC
• The Bearcats defeated Texas Southern 82-51, and moves to 2-0 all-time vs. the Tigers.
• UC shot 50 percent from the field for the game (31-of-62). It was the first time Cincinnati shot 50 percent or better from the field since Feb. 6, 2006, when it shot 50 percent versus Providence.
• The Bearcats registered back-to-back 30-plus point victories for the first time since the 2001-02 season when UC defeated Louisiana-Monroe by 36 points (102-66) on Dec. 20, 2000, and Mississippi State by 34 points (90-56) on Dec. 21, 2000.
• Cincinnati scored over 70 points in consecutive games for the first time since the 2006-07 season, when UC scored 76 points versus Syracuse and 96 points versus West Virginia.
• 10 players scored for the Bearcats in the win, including four double-figure scorers.
• UC outscored Texas Southern 20-0 in points off turnovers in the first half.
• The Bearcats shot 60.6 percent from the field in the first half (20-of-33), while the Tigers shot 29.0 percent (9-of-31).
• Cincinnati scored 51 first-half points and led 51-24 at the intermission. It was the first time UC scored 50 points in a half since posting 50 in the second half vs. North Carolina State on Dec. 23, 2006. The 51 points in a half are the most points in a half since Dec. 30, 2005, when the Bearcats scored 53 points in the second half against North Carolina A&T.
• From the 10:01 mark on the clock to the 5:36 mark of the opening half, UC went on a 16-2 run to widen its lead to 37-11.
• UC went on a 15-0 run from the 17:03 mark of the first half to the 13:20 mark, opening up a 17-2 lead.
• Sophomore guard Alvin Mitchell hit a career-high four 3-pointers en route to a career-high 15 points. It is the second time in Mitchell’s career he has scored in double figures after scoring 12 points versus Villanova on Jan. 12, 2008.
• Junior forward Steve Toyloy scored in double-figures for the first time as a Bearcat, scoring 11 points on a perfect 5-of-5 shooting from the floor and 1-of-2 shooting from the free throw line.
• Junior guard Deonta Vaughn scored 12 points for the second game in a row and has now scored in double figures in four straight games, dating back to last year’s BIG EAST Championship vs. Pittsburgh and the Collegiate Basketball Invitational at Bradley. Vaughn also added five rebounds and six assists.
• Sophomore guard Larry Davis added 11 points in the win, his sixth double-figure scoring game of his career and his first of the season.
• Sophomore forward Darnell Wilks scored a career-high seven points on a perfect 3-of-3 shooting night.
• Freshman guard Dion Dixon grabbed a season-high 10 rebounds, his first double-digit rebounding game of his career.
• Texas Southern’s Deandre Hall scored a career-high 29 points, his first 20-point game of the season.