2008-09 Cincinnati Bearcats Basketball|
Nov. 22, 2008
CINCINNATI MEN’S BASKETBALL POSTGAME NOTES
Western Illinois at Cincinnati - Nov. 22, 2008
Fifth Third Arena – Cincinnati, OhioPOSTGAME NOTES
• Records: Cincinnati – 3-0, 0-0 BIG EAST; Western Illinois – 1-3, 0-0 Summit
• The Bearcats defeated Western Illinois, 74-46, and move to 1-1 all-time vs. the Leathernecks.
• Cincinnati scored over 70 points in three consecutive games for the first time since the 2005-06 season, when UC scored 76 point versus Minnesota, 86 points versus Charlotte and 73 points versus Syracuse.
• UC won three consecutive games for the first time since defeating Rutgers (Feb. 9), St. John’s (Feb. 13), and USF (Feb. 20) last season.
• 10 players scored for the Bearcats in the win, the second consecutive game with 10 players scoring.
• UC outrebounded WIU by 30, 54-24, recording its third straight 40-plus rebounding game and its first 50-plus rebounding game since pulling down 52 rebounds at Rutgers on Feb. 2, 2008. Last season, UC had only eight 40-plus rebounding games for the season.
• UC shot 71.4 percent from the free throw line, the first time since March 12, 2008 that the Bearcats shot better than 70 percent from the charity stripe (72.2% vs. Pittsburgh).
• The Bearcats held Western Illinois to 15 points in the first half, matching the lowest point total an opponent has scored in the first half the last eight years. UC has held an opponent to 15 first-half points three other times since the 2000-01 season, against Tennessee Martin on Nov. 11, 2006 (a 67-49 victory), in a 74-48 win vs. USF on Jan. 27, 2004, and in a 66-61 overtime win against Louisville on Feb 21, 2004.
• UC forced Western Illinois to 27.9 percent for the game, the lowest it has held and opponent in field goal percentage since holding West Virginia to 20 percent last season.
• UC opened the game on a 12-0 run, preventing the Leathernecks from scoring until the 13:43 mark of the game and later went on a 16-4 run over 5:32, pushing out to a 36-10 lead.
• Cincinnati outscored Western Illinois 39-15 off the bench in the game and is now averaging 37.7 points per game off the bench. Sophomore Alvin Mitchell is the Bearcats top sixth man and the team’s leading scorer, averaging 12.3 points be game as a sub.
• Sophomore guard Alvin Mitchell scored his first two-point bucket of the season at the 18:43 mark of the second half against WIU. Prior to the two-pointer this season, Mitchell scored a total of 27 points, all of them 3-pointers. He scored a game-high 19 points, giving him back-to-back games in double figures, and back-to-back games notching his career high in points and triples in a game (4).
• Senior forward Mike Williams notched a UC career-high 12 points, shooting 5-for-8 from the field and a perfect 2-for-2 from the free throw line.
• Junior forward Steve Toyloy recorded a game and career-high eight rebounds.
• Sophomore center Anthony McClain recorded a career-high four blocks and shot perfect for the game, hitting 3-for-3 from the field and 2-for-2 from the charity stripe for eight points.
• Freshman guard Dion Dixon grabbed a season-high 10 rebounds, his first double-digit rebounding game of his career.
• Freshman forward Yancy Gates scored 10 points, his second double-digit scoring game in first three games of college career.