Men's Basketball |
Nov. 23, 2009
Recap | Box Score | AP Photo Gallery
2009-10 CINCINNATI MEN’S BASKETBALL
No. 24 Vanderbilt vs. Cincinnati l Nov. 23, 2009
Lahaina Civic Center – Maui, Hawai’i
• Cincinnati picked up its first win ever in the Maui Invitational with a 67-58 win over Vanderbilt in the first round of the Maui Invitational.
• With the win, Cincinnati is 6-1 all-time against the Commodores.
• The win over No. 24 Vanderbilt is the first win over a ranked opponent since Cincinnati defeated No. 25 Georgetown, 65-57, on Jan. 28, 2009.
• Vanderbilt, who came in averaging 83.5 points per game while shooting 53.1 percent from the field, scored just 58 points as the Bearcats held to Commodores to 27.5 percent shooting.
• Cincinnati dominated the glass outrebounding Vanderbilt 53-32. UC is now 3-0 on the season when outrebounding opponents.
• Cincinnati recorded nine steals in the game with Lance Stephenson leading the way with three steals.
• Both teams went scoreless from the field for more than four minutes in the middle of the second half, but Cincinnati remained in front, 47-38, with 10:11 to play.
• A 4-0 run in the final minute of the first half gave the Bearcats a 36-24 lead entering halftime.
• Tied at four with 18:13 to play in the first half, UC held Vanderbilt without a field goal for the next 9:46 as the Bearcats went on a 20-4 run to take a 24-8 lead with 9:27 to play in the first half.
• After using the same starting lineup for the first two games, Cincinnati went to a smaller starting lineup against Vanderbilt with G Cashmere Wright, G Deonta Vaughn, F Lance Stephenson, F Rashad Bishop, F Yancy Gates.
• From the 13:03 mark to the 10:00 mark, sophomore Yancy Gates scored all 12 of his first-half points. Gates finished 16 points and 10 rebounds, his first double-double of the season and the third of his career. Gates’ last double-double was on Feb. 26, 2009, against West Virginia. Gates also added two blocks.
• Sophomore Dion Dixon came off the bench to score 12 points and grab a career-high tying 10 rebounds, his first double-digit scoring game of the season and the first double-double of his career.
• Coming off a career-high 20 points, against Toledo, junior Rashad Bishop scored nine points on 4-of-6 shooting, while grabbing six rebounds and dishing out three assists.
• Freshman Lance Stephenson continued his solid all-around play with eight points and five rebounds.
• Senior Deonta Vaughn, Cincinnati’s leading scorer coming into the game, scored his first points of the game with 6:40 to play in the second half. Vaughn finished with eight points.