Men's Basketball |
Dec. 1, 2009
Box Score |
2009-10 University of Cincinnati Men’s Basketball
Texas Southern vs. No. 22/24 Cincinnati w Dec. 1, 2009
Fifth Third Arena w Cincinnati, Ohio
· Records: No. 22/24 Cincinnati: 5-1; Texas Southern 3-5
· Cincinnati defeated Texas Southern, 94-57. UC moves to 3-0 all-time vs. Texas Southern.
· The 37-point defeat is Cincinnati’s largest of the season and the largest under head coach Mick Cronin.
· UC’s 94 points are the most points scored by a Bearcats team since defeating West Virginia 96-83 in overtime on Jan. 20, 2007.
· The win was Cincinnati’s first as a ranked team since defeating Iowa 76-64, on March 17, 2005. Cincinnati was ranked No. 23 at that time.
· Seven players scored in double figures led by junior Rashad Bishop’s 14 points.
· The Bearcats outscored the Tigers 46-20 in points in the paint.
· Cincinnati shot 57.4 percent from the field (35-of-61) compared to 33.3 percent for Texas Southern (20-of-60). The 57.4-percent shooting is the Bearcats’ highest field goal percentage this season and their highest shooting percentage since shooting 62.8 percent against St. John’s on Feb. 11, 2009.
· UC’s bench outscored Texas Southern’s bench 49-6. The 49 points are the most bench points scored by Cincinnati this season.
· Cincinnati improved to 5-0 when outrebounding its opponents. UC outrebounded Texas Southern 47-25.
· A 16-4 run over a four-minute stretch in the middle of the second half widened the Cincinnati lead to 37 points, 77-40, at the under-eight minute timeout.
· UC closed out the first half on an 11-3 run over the final 3:39 to double up Texas Southern, 44-22, entering halftime.
· Cincinnati outscored the Tigers 24-2 in points in the paint and 13-2 in fast break points in the opening half.
· After Texas Southern tied the score at nine with 13:24 on the clock in the first half, UC went on a 20-1 run over the next 5:58 to jump in front, 29-10 with 7:26 remaining in the half.
· The Bearcats hit three of their first four shots and held Texas Southern without a field goal for the first 4:45 of the game as Cincinnati took a 7-0 lead with 15:15 to play in the first half.
· Seven players scored in double figures for Cincinnati; Rashad Bishop (14), Dion Dixon (13), Steve Toyloy (13), Deonta Vaughn (12), Darnell Wilks (12), Yancy Gates (10), and Jaquon Parker (10).
· Despite shooting just 1-of-6 from the field in the first half, freshman Lance Stephenson contributed in other ways grabbing six boards and dishing out five assists. Stephenson finished with seven points, a career-high 11 rebounds, and a career-high seven assists for the game.
· Junior Darnell Wilks came off the bench to score a career-high 12 points on 5-of-8 shooting, while adding six rebounds.
· Junior Rashad Bishop scored 11 of UC’s first 22 points in the first 9:35 of the game. Bishop finished with a team-high 14 points and six boards. It is Bishop’s second double-figure scoring effort of the season.
· Sophomore Dion Dixon earned his first start of the season and the sixth of his career. It was his first start since Dec. 29, 2008 against Memphis. Dixon finished with a season-high 13 points.
· Freshman Jaquon Parker scored in double figures for the first time in his career with 10 points, while adding a career-best seven rebounds in a career-best 23 minutes.
· Freshman Alex Eppensteiner came off the bench with two assists.