Men's Basketball |
Dec. 6, 2008
Box Score |
2008-0 CINCINNATI MEN’S BASKETBALL
UAB at Cincinnati l Dec. 6, 2008
Fifth Third Arena – Cincinnati, Ohio
• Records: Cincinnati – 5-2, 0-0 BIG EAST; UAB – 5-3, 0-0 C-USA
• The Bearcats defeat UAB 87-80; UC leads the all-time series 15-8.
• The win snaps a two-game losing streak vs. UAB and is Mick Cronin’s first against the Blazers.
• Down 13-11 with 12:09 in the first half, UC went on an 11-0 run to take a 22-13 lead at 9:47. Junior guard Deonta Vaughn scored five of the 11 points on a jumper and a 3-pointer.
• The Bearcats extended its first half lead to as many as 14 point, but led by 12, 38-26, at halftime.
• For the fourth time this season, every UC player pulled down at least one rebound.
• The Bearcats held UAB 0-for-9 from 3-point line until it hit its first trey at 15:52 of the second half. UAB finished the game 6-for-25 (.240).
• The Blazers are the first team in 2008-09 to shoot 40 percent vs. Cincinnati, connecting on 30-of-75 shots (.400).
• The Bearcats shot a season-high 75.7 percent (28-of-37) from the free throw line. Senior forward Mike Williams led the way hitting 11-of-14 (.785), including 5-for-6 in the final two minutes of the game.
• For the fifth time this season and the second game in a row, UC pulled down 40 or more rebounds with 42 vs. UAB. All 10 Bearcats who played pulled down at least one rebound, led by Rashad Bishop who equaled his career high. It is the fourth time this season, every UC player pulled down at least one rebound.
• Cincinnati’s 87 points are the most the team has scored since posting 96 (96-83) vs. West Virginia in an overtime win at home on Jan. 20, 2007. The West Virginia game is also the last time UC allowed 70 or more points in a victory.
• UC hit on 26-of-52 (.500) shot in the game, marking the third time this season UC has shot 50.0 percent or better in a game. Before this season, the Bearcats had shot 50 percent or better in a game only twice under Mick Cronin, both in 2006-07.
• Senior forward Mike Williams was the Bearcats leading scorer with a career-high 17 points. Williams netted 11 of his 17 points from the free throw line. He was 3-for-5 from the field.
• Junior guard Deonta Vaughn came off the bench and scored 16 points and equaled his season high with five rebounds.
• Sophomore forward Darnell Wilks, who had scored just three points his last four games, came out against UAB and his first two shots, knocking down a 3-pointer and a jumper for five points. Wilks finished the game 3-for-5 from the field and 2-for-4 from behind the arc for a career-high eight points. He also added a career-high two assists.
• Sophomore guard Rashad Bishop had one of his best games as a UC basketball player, scoring a season high nine points and equaling his career bests with eight rebounds and two blocked shots.
• Freshman forward Yancy Gates connected on his first career 3-point attempt with 6:30 left in the game to put Cincinnati up, 64-52. Gates, who equaled his season high with 22 minutes, ended with 11 points.