2008-09 Cincinnati Men's Basketball|
Dec. 13, 2008
Dec. 13, 2008
2008-09 CINCINNATI MEN’S BASKETBALL
No. 10/9 Xavier at Cincinnati l Dec. 13, 2008
Fifth Third Arena – Cincinnati, Ohio
• Records: Cincinnati – 6-2, 0-0 BIG EAST; Xavier – 9-0, 0-0 Atlantic-10
• Cincinnati leads the all-time series, 47-29
• Cincinnati wore its home red uniforms for the first time this season.
• The attendance for tonight’s game was 13,176, the first sellout in exactly two years when Cincinnati played Xavier on Dec. 13, 2006.
• Xavier defeated Cincinnati 76-66. The Musketeers outscored Cincinnati 12-0 in fast break points.
• The Bearcats hit 85 percent (17-of-20) of its free throw attempts, its highest single-game free throw percentage this season.
• Trailing by five points, 63-58, with 6:02 to play, UC went scoreless from the field for the next 5:39 as Xavier widened its lead to 76-64.
• The Bearcats trailed by five points, 24-19, with 3:56 remaining in the opening half, but Xavier closed the half on a 15-6 run to take a 39-25 lead into the half.
• UC went scoreless from the 10:55 mark of the opening stanza to the 5:18 mark before Vaughn made a lay-up, his first two points of the game. Despite not hitting a field goal during that stretch, the Bearcats cut its deficit from nine points to five points as they went 7-of-8 from the free throw line.
• Freshman Yancy Gates scored the first bucket of the game at the 19:42 mark of the first half, before Xavier scored 14 unanswered points to jump on top, 14-2 with 12:39 on the clock. UC went 0-of-6 with six turnovers during the stretch.
• Senior guard Deonta Vaughn scored 19 of his season and game-high 27 points in the second half. Vaughn hit 5-of-11 3-pointers and converted 8-of-9 free throw attempts.
• Junior forward Steve Toyloy scored seven straight points for the Bearcats from the 10:23 mark to 8:36 mark helping UC cut its deficit to three points, 59-56. Toyloy had combined for eight points in his previous five games.
• Vaughn scored 10 of Cincinnati’s first 13 points as UC cut its halftime deficit from 15 points to 11 points, 49-38, with 15:19 on the clock.
• Sophomore guard Rashad Bishop surpassed his previous career-high for rebounds with nine.
• Freshman guard Dion Dixon recorded the second double-figure scoring game of the year, scoring 11 points.