Men's Basketball |
Dec. 13, 2009
Box Score |
Photo Gallery 1 |
Photo Gallery 2
2009-10 CINCINNATI MEN’S BASKETBALL
No. 19/19 Cincinnati at Xavier l Dec. 13, 2009
Cintas Center – Cincinnati, Ohio
• Records: No. 19/19 Cincinnati, 6-2; Xavier, 6-3.
• Xavier defeated Cincinnati 83-79 in double overtime, the first double-overtime game in series history.
• With the loss, Cincinnati fell to 47-30 in the all-time series against Xavier.
• Cincinnati’s record moves to 49-46 overall and 1-5 all-time against Xavier in overtime games. UC is 7-5 all-time in double-overtime contests.
• The Bearcats are now 0-2 on the season in overtime games and it is their third consecutive overtime loss dating back to last season.
• The loss is UC’s first of the season when scoring 60-plus points. The Bearcats own a 6-1 record when scoring 60-plus points in a game.
• Cincinnati lost its first game of the year when outrebounding its opponent. UC is now 6-1 when outrebounding opponent after the Bearcats outrebounded Xavier 52-43.
• The Bearcats converted just 10-of-22 free throws for the game compared to 28-of-36 for the Musketeers.
• Cincinnati outscored Xavier 42-30 in the paint.
• Trailing by one point, with just over a minute to play, a lay-up by Jason Love and two XU free throws down the stretch gave the Musketeers the 83-79 win, XU’s third straight win in the series.
• A freshman Lance Stephenson lay-up with 14.7 seconds remaining tied the game at 61 and Xavier failed to connect on the final possession sending the game in overtime.
• Xavier’s lead reached as many as 10 points, 45-35, with 14:16 remaining in the game, but an 11-0 Cincinnati run from the 9:09 mark to 5:44 mark placed Cincinnati in front, 55-51, its first lead of the second half. Stephenson scored the first seven points of the run.
• UC went scoreless from the field over the final 2:37 of the first half and XU went on a 5-0 run to take a 31-26 lead entering the half. Cincinnati’s only other halftime deficit this season was against Prairie View A&M on Nov. 16.
• Xavier shot 40 percent from the field (10-of-25) in the first half compared to just 28.6 percent for Cincinnati (10-of-35). Despite the shooting percentage, UC outrebounded XU 25-16 and grabbed 12 offensive rebounds compared to just three for the Musketeers.
• The Bearcats responded with a 14-0 run of its own over an 8:35 stretch in the middle of the first half to capture a 19-12 lead with 7:07 to play in the half. During that stretch, Xavier missed 12 straight shots from the field.
• After a Stephenson three-pointer put UC ahead 4-3 with 18:22 to play, the Musketeers went on a 9-1 run from the 17:17 mark to the 14:35 mark to give XU a 12-5 lead with 14:35 to play in the first half.
• Stephenson finished with 22 points, his fifth double-figure scoring effort of the season and the first 20-plus point performance of his career. The 20-plus point performance is the second for UC this season as Rashad Bishop scored 20 points against Toledo on Nov. 18.
• Gates notched a season-high 18 points, while playing a season-high 40 minutes.
• A fast-break lay-up by senior Deonta Vaughn was his two first points of the game. Vaughn went 74:20 of game time without scoring a point, with his last bucket scored with 11:55 on the clock in the second half against Texas Southern. Vaughn finished the game with 13 points and a career-high tying nine rebounds.
• Junior Darnell Wilks was a spark off the bench for Cincinnati scoring eight points and grabbing five boards in 14 minutes of action.
• Junior Ibrahima Thomas made his first appearance of the season after sitting out the first seven games due to NCAA transfer rules.