Men's Basketball |
Dec. 18, 2008
Box Score |
2008-09 CINCINNATI MEN’S BASKETBALL
BIG EAST/SEC Invivational
Mississippi State at Cincinnati fÜ Dec. 18, 2008
U.S. Bank Arena – Cincinnati, Ohio
• Records: Cincinnati – 8-2, 0-0 BIG EAST; Mississippi State – 7-4, 0-0 SEC
• Cincinnati is 8-2 for the first time since the 2005-06 season, when the Bearcats started out 13-2.
• Tonight is the fourth meeting between Mississippi State and Cincinnati. With the win, UC tied the all-time series at two wins apiece.
• UC tied a season-best by handing out 20 assists.
• The Bearcats pulled down 41 rebounds, the seventh time this season UC grabbed 40-plus rebounds in a game.
• The Bearcats improved to 8-0 when leading at the half and 8-0 when outrebounding their opponents. UC handled Mississippi State on the boards, 41-27.
• Cincinnati hit a season-best 12 3-pointers. Cincinnati’s previous best this season was 11 vs. Coastal Carolina (11/24).
• Cincinnati scored 75 points in the game, marking the eighth time this season that UC has surpassed 70 points in a game. Last season, Cincinnati scored above 70 points seven times.
• Cincinnati’s bench outscored Mississippi State’s 28-9.
• Trailing by 19 points, 55-36, with 14:42 remaining in the game, the Bulldogs went on a 12-0 run over the next 3:08 to close within seven points with 11:15 to play.
• Cincinnati closed the half on a 15-0 run over the final 4:06 to take a 47-20 lead into halftime.
• UC’s 47 first-half points are its second most first-half points this season. The most first-half points scored by the Bearcats this season is 51 vs. Texas Southern (11/18).
• Cincinnati hit 9-of-18 3-pointers in the opening half and outscored the Bulldogs 12-2 in points in the paint.
• In front 24-20 with 7:59 on the clock in the first half, the Bearcats knocked down six straight 3-pointers to help widen its lead to 42-29 with 2:29 to play in the opening half. Junior Steve Toyloy also added one free throw during that stretch.
• Freshman Yancy Gates finished with 12 points, his sixth double-figure scoring game of the season and his fourth in the last five games. Gates also added nine rebounds.
• Freshman Dion Dixon finished with a season-high 14 points, his third double-figure scoring game in the last five games.
• Sophomore Larry Davis tied a career-high with four made 3-pointers. Davis finished with 12 points, his third double-figure scoring game of the season.
• All of junior Deonta Vaughn’s 14 first-half points came during the final 4:06 of the opening stanza. Vaughn recorded five rebounds in the first 20 minutes, matching a career-high. Vaughn finished with 16 points, a career-high seven rebounds and six assists.
• A 3-pointer by Vaughn with 4:06 to play in the first half was Vaughn’s first points of the game.
• Gates scored six of Cincinnati’s first seven points during the opening 3:03 of the first half as UC jumped out to a 7-6 lead with 16:57 remaining in the half.