2008-09 Cincinnati Men's Basketball|
Dec. 20, 2008
2008-09 CINCINNATI MEN’S BASKETBALL
Eastern Kentucky at Cincinnati fÜ Dec. 20, 2008
Fifth Third Arena – Cincinnati, Ohio
• Records: Cincinnati – 9-2, 0-0 BIG EAST; Eastern Kentucky – 7-4, 1-1 OVC
• Tonight is the 10th meeting between Eastern Kentucky and Cincinnati. UC leads the all-time series, 10-0.
• Cincinnati went on a 9-2 run over the first 2:01 of overtime to open up an 82-75 lead. The spurt was capped off by a 3-pointer from the left baseline from freshman Dion Dixon. UC went on to defeat EKU 85-77.
• UC committed a season-low 10 turnovers and grabbed 47 rebounds, the eighth time this season UC has pulled down 40-plus rebounds in a game.
• The Bearcats dished out a season-high 21 assists.
• UC won its first overtime game since defeating Rutgers in overtime, 72-68, on Feb. 9, 2008.
• A three-point play by sophomore Larry Davis, followed by a transition 3-pointer by Davis put Cincinnati ahead, 70-69, with 1:50 to play in the game. The lead was UC’s first since the Bearcats led 8-6 with 16:05 to play in the first half.
• Cincinnati closed out the first half on a 17-6 run over the final 5:59 to close within four points, 36-32, after trailing in the half by as many as 15 points. Junior Deonta Vaughn scored all eight of his first-half points during that stretch.
• Eastern Kentucky shot 54.5 (6-of-11) percent from behind the arc in the first half compared to UC’s 29.4 (5-of-17) 3-point shooting percentage.
• After an Alvin Mitchell 3-pointer at the 11:14 mark of the first half cut the Bearcat deficit to five points, 18-13, the Colonels went on a 12-2 run over the next 3:14 to take a 30-15 lead with 7:19 remaining in the opening half.
• Trailing 8-3 with 16:24 remaining in the first half, Eastern Kentucky went on a 15-2 run over the next 4:14 to take an 18-10 lead with 11:55 to play in the half. Mike Rose hit three 3-pointers during that stretch for the Colonels.
• Senior Mike Williams scored four points and grabbed nine rebounds in the first half. Williams finished with 13 points and a career-high 16 rebounds, his third double-double of the season.
• Williams became the first UC player to finish with 15-plus rebounds in a game since John Williamson grabbed 16 rebounds vs. Ohio State on Dec. 16, 2006.
• Freshman Yancy Gates finished with 17 points and eight rebounds. Gates has scored in double figures in three consecutive games and in five of the last six.
• Sophomore Larry Davis tied his career-high with 16 points.
• A 3-pointer by junior Deonta Vaughn with 5:59 to play in the opening stanza was his first three points of the game. He finished the game with 20 points, the second time he has scored 20-plus points this season. Vaughn dished out a season-high seven assists.