Men's Basketball |
Dec. 20, 2008
Box Score |
2008-09 CINCINNATI MEN’S BASKETBALL
Eastern Kentucky at Cincinnati fÜ Dec. 20, 2008
Fifth Third Arena – Cincinnati, Ohio
• Records: Cincinnati – 9-2, 0-0 BIG EAST; Eastern Kentucky – 7-4, 1-1 OVC
• Tonight is the 10th meeting between Eastern Kentucky and Cincinnati. UC leads the all-time series, 10-0.
• Cincinnati went on a 9-2 run over the first 2:01 of overtime to open up an 82-75 lead. The spurt was capped off by a 3-pointer from the left baseline from freshman Dion Dixon. UC went on to defeat EKU 85-77.
• UC committed a season-low 10 turnovers and grabbed 47 rebounds, the eighth time this season UC has pulled down 40-plus rebounds in a game.
• The Bearcats dished out a season-high 21 assists.
• UC won its first overtime game since defeating Rutgers in overtime, 72-68, on Feb. 9, 2008.
• Trailing 73-71, an alley-oop dunk by Yancy Gates from Deonta Vaughn tied the game at 73, sending UC to its first overtime game this season and its first overtime game since March 2, 2008.
• A three-point play by sophomore Larry Davis, followed by a transition 3-pointer by Davis put Cincinnati ahead, 70-69, with 1:50 to play in the game. The lead was UC’s first since the Bearcats led 8-6 with 16:05 to play in the first half.
• Cincinnati closed out the first half on a 17-6 run over the final 5:59 to close within four points, 36-32, after trailing in the half by as many as 15 points. Junior Deonta Vaughn scored all eight of his first-half points during that stretch.
• Eastern Kentucky shot 54.5 (6-of-11) percent from behind the arc in the first half compared to UC’s 29.4 (5-of-17) 3-point shooting percentage.
• After an Alvin Mitchell 3-pointer at the 11:14 mark of the first half cut the Bearcat deficit to five points, 18-13, the Colonels went on a 12-2 run over the next 3:14 to take a 30-15 lead with 7:19 remaining in the opening half.
• Trailing 8-3 with 16:24 remaining in the first half, Eastern Kentucky went on a 15-2 run over the next 4:14 to take an 18-10 lead with 11:55 to play in the half. Mike Rose hit three 3-pointers during that stretch for the Colonels.
• Senior Mike Williams scored four points and grabbed nine rebounds in the first half. Williams finished with 13 points and a career-high 16 rebounds, his third double-double of the season.
• Williams became the first UC player to finish with 15-plus rebounds in a game since John Williamson grabbed 16 rebounds vs. Ohio State on Dec. 16, 2006.
• Freshman Yancy Gates finished with 17 points and eight rebounds. Gates has scored in double figures in three consecutive games and in five of the last six.
• Sophomore Larry Davis tied his career-high with 16 points.
• A 3-pointer by junior Deonta Vaughn with 5:59 to play in the opening stanza was his first three points of the game. He finished the game with 20 points, the second time he has scored 20-plus points this season. Vaughn dished out a season-high seven assists.