2008-09 Cincinnati Men's Basketball|
Dec. 22, 2008
2008-09 CINCINNATI MEN’S BASKETBALL
Arkansas-Pine Bluff at Cincinnati fÜ Dec. 22, 2008
Fifth Third Arena – Cincinnati, Ohio
• Records: Cincinnati – 10-2, 0-0 BIG EAST; Arkansas-Pine Bluff – 1-9, 0-0 SWAC
• Tonight is the first meeting between Arkansas-Pine Bluff and Cincinnati. UC leads the series, 1-0.
• Cincinnati averaged 5.9 steals per game coming into the game and finished the first half with seven steals. UC finished with a season-high 15 steals, the most steals by a UC team since the Bearcats have 17 thefts against Coppin State on Nov. 29, 2003.
• Cincinnati scored 29 points off Golden Lion turnovers, its most points off turnovers this season. UC also outscored UAPB 38-6 in points in the paint and 38-23 in bench points.
• All 11 players that played for the Bearcats scored in the game.
• UC forced 24 Golden Lion turnovers. That is the most turnovers forced by the Bearcats since UC forced N.C. State into 32 turnovers on Dec. 23, 2006.
• The Bearcats outrebounded the Arkansas-Pine Bluff 41-36, improving to 10-0 when outrebounding its opponents.
• Cincinnati closed the game on a 15-4 run to defeat Arkansas-Pine Bluff 79-49. It is the Bearcats’ third 30-plus point win of the season.
• Leading 62-29, the Golden Lions went on a 16-2 run to close within 19 points with 5:40 remaining in the game.
• The Bearcats closed out the half on a 14-3 run over the final 3:43 to take a 43-16 lead into the half. Nine UC players scored in the first half, led by junior Deonta Vaughn’s nine points.
• The 16 first-half points are the fewest points scored by an opponent since West Virginia scored 16 points in the second half on Jan. 30, 2008.
• Leading 8-7 with 12:06 on the clock in the first half, UC went on a 19-2 run over the next 7:05 to take a 27-9 lead with 5:01 to play in the opening stanza.
• UC opened the game on an 8-2 run over the first 5:42 of the opening half. Six of UC’s eight points came courtesy of two Vaughn 3-pointers.
• Vaughn finished with a team-high tying 14 points and a season-high tying three steals.
• Freshman Yancy Gates finished with 14 points and eight rebounds. It is Gates’ fourth consecutive double-figure scoring game and his sixth in the last seven contests.
• After scoring 10 points in his previous three games, junior Steve Toyloy scored a career-high 14 points and grabbed nine rebounds vs. Arkansas-Pine Bluff. It is Toyloy’s third double-figure scoring game of the season.
• After shooting 5-of-25 from the field in his past three games, freshman Dion Dixon went 4-of-8 from the field and scored 11 points vs. the Golden Lions. It is Dixon’s fourth double-figure scoring game of the season.
• Sophomore Darnell Wilks set a career-high with three steals and added three points, two rebounds and a block.