Men's Basketball |
Dec. 22, 2009
Box Score |
2009-10 Cincinnati Men's Basketball
Winthrop at Cincinnati - Dec. 22, 2009
Fifth Third Arena - Cincinnati, Ohio
• Records: Cincinnati, 8-3; Winthrop, 5-6.
• Cincinnati defeated Winthrop, 74-57, to improve to 2-0 all-time against the Eagles.
• UC shot 51.0 percent from the field compared 37.5 percent for Winthrop. UC has now shot over 50 percent from the field in the past two games, marking the first time since Feb. 11 and Feb. 14, 2009, the Bearcats shot better than 50 percent from the field – St. John’s (64.8 percent - Feb. 11, 2009), and against Pittsburgh (51.9 percent - Feb. 14, 2009).
• The Bearcats outrebounded the Eagles, 40-28, and moved to 8-1 on the season when outrebounding their opponent.
• After shooting 1-of-10 from three in the first half, UC hit 5-of-9 treys in the second half to finish 6-of-19 (31.6 percent) from behind-the-arc.
• Just as the Eagles cut the Bearcats lead to nine points, 58-49, with 7:43 to play, UC used a 9-0 run over the next 2:45 stretch to take 67-49 lead with 3:44 to play. Eight of the nine Cincinnati points were scored by senior Deonta Vaughn (two 3-pointers, two free throws).
• Cincinnati shot 50 percent (15-of-30) from the field in the opening half and took a 39-23 lead into halftime.
• The Bearcats made an effort to work the ball inside in the first half as 30 of UC’s 39 first-half points were scored by frontcourt players.
• An 18-3 run from the 12:57 to the 6:47 mark of the first half widened Cincinnati’s lead to 30-14.
• Sophomore Yancy Gates scored 10 of his 14 first-half points from the 14:22 mark to the 9:45 mark of the first half. Gates finished with a game-high 16 points and added seven rebounds.
• Three second-half 3-point field goals by senior guard Deonta Vaughn moved Vaughn past Steve Logan and tied him with LaZelle Durden for third place on UC’s career 3-point made field goals chart. Vaughn has made 260 three’s in his career and it marked the first time in the past four games that he has connected on multiple 3-pointers in a game.
• Vaughn finished with 11 points, tying Darnell Burton for 10th on UC’s career scoring list with 1,584 points.
• Junior Ibrahima Thomas scored 11 points, his second double-figure scoring game of the season. It also is the first time in his career that he has had consecutive double-figure scoring efforts.
• Junior Rashad Bishop tied his season high with eight rebounds.