Men's Basketball |
Dec. 28, 2012
Final Stats |
UNIVERSITY OF CINCINNATI MEN'S BASKETBALL
2012 POSTGAME NOTES
New Mexico: 55 (13-1), Cincinnati: 54 (12-1)
December 29, 2012 // Fifth Third Arena // Cincinnati, Ohio // Attendance: 10,627
- Today's game was the first in series history between the Bearcats and the Lobos. New Mexico now leads the series 1-0.
- UC Starters: Justin Jackson (f), Cheikh Mbodj (c), Cashmere Wright (g), Sean Kilpatrick (g) and JaQuon Parker (g).
- UC has started the same lineup in all 13 games this season.
- UC is 64-22 vs. regular-season nonconference foes under Cronin, including a 52-9 record in Fifth Third Arena.
- The Bearcats' first 12 points were scored off of 3-point baskets. Kilpatrick opened the game for the Bearcats with a triple at the 16:51 mark and Wright hit two consecutive shots to give UC a 9-4 lead. Three and a half minutes later, Kilpatrick drained his second trey to take a 12-9 advantage. The Bearcats were 0-10 from inside the arc during the span.
- The Lobos held the Bearcats scoreless for five minutes and 45 seconds in the first half. Parker hit a free throw with 8:12 remaining, but Cincinnati did not score again until Mbdoj hit a layup with 2:27 left in the half to give UC a 21-18 lead. UNM only scored four points during the span.
- The two teams combined for six straight 3-point buckets in the second half, spanning 2:43 from the 13:33 mark to the 10:50 mark. Parker, Thomas and Kilpatrick all scored the triples for the Bearcats.
- Neither team scored during the final two minutes and 28 seconds. The last basket of the game was a jumper by UNM's Tony Snell.
- Cincinnati only shot 31.3 percent from the floor, a season low for the Bearcats.
- The game featured six ties and seven lead changes. The largest lead for both teams was six points.
- New Mexico outscored Cincinnati in the paint (22 to 14), points off turnovers (11 to nine), second chance points (14 to seven) and bench points (12 to nine). The Bearcats held the advantage in fast break points (seven to two).
- Junior Sean Kilpatrick scored 15 points and has scored in double figures in all 13 games this season. He moved up to 34th place on the UC career scoring chart with 1,112 points. He is seven points away from matching Melvin Levett (1996-99) and Bill Lammert (1952-55) with 1,119 points for 32nd on the list.
- Senior Cashmere Wright scored 12 points and sits in 40th place on UC's career scoring chart with 1,081 points. He had four assists Thursday and currently ranks fifth on UC's all-time list with 422, while only needing three more to tie Oscar Robertson (1957-60) for fourth with 425.
- Wright finished with one steal to give him 174 for his career, ranking him third on UC's all-time career steals list.
- Senior Cheikh Mbdoj grabbed a career-high 10 rebounds, including six on the offensive glass.
- The Bearcats will be back in action on Mon., Dec. 31 when they travel to Pittsburgh, Pa. to take on the Pitt Panthers at noon. The game will be aired nationally on ESPN2 and can be heard on 700 WLW.