Jan. 5, 2011
Complete Release in PDF Format
CBSSports.com Crosstown Shootout Preview
Game 15: Xavier at CINCINNATI
Thursday, Jan. 6 -- 7pm (EST) -- Fifth Third Arena (13,176) -- Cincinnati, Ohio -- TV: ESPN2 -- Radio: 700 WLW
- Xavier, 8-4, is coming off 71-67 loss to Florida on Dec. 31 at Cintas Center, a loss that snapped XU's school record 30-game home court winning streak. Junior Tu Holloway led all scorers with 26 points to go with six assists.
- Xavier freshman guard/forward Jay Canty is expected to miss the next 3-5 weeks of action. An MRI last week revealed that he has a stress fracture in his right foot. The Musketeers are down to nine healthy scholarship players.
- Xavier has four players averaging in double figures in scoring led by junior Tu Holloway (21.3 ppg.), sophomore Mark Lyons (12.6 ppg.), junior Kenny Frease (11.7 ppg.) and senior Jamel McLean (10.1 ppg.).
THE SKYLINE CHILI CROSSTOWN SHOOTOUT
Total: UC leads 47-30
Fifth Third Arena: UC leads 6-4
Cintas Center: Xavier leads 4-1
Armory FH: UC leads 3-1
Cin. Gardens: UC leads 27-15
Riverfront Col.: UC leads 7-3
Schmidt FH: Series tied 3-3
Current Streak: XU -- 3
- Thurday's Crosstown Shootout will be the 78th meeting between the schools since the series began in 1928. Cincinnati owns a 47-30 advantage in the series, but Xavier has won the last three. UC head coach Mick Cronin is 1-3 in the series, picking up his win in 2006, his first season as the Bearcats head coach.
- The highly contested Cincinnati-Xavier series had an inauspicious beginning when the two schools first met in a game scheduled after the conclusion of the 1927- 28 season to dedicate Xavier's Schmidt Fieldhouse. It was 15 years (1942-43) before the two schools met again. Following another pause, the schools began playing on an annual basis in 1945-46 and have played consecutively since.
- In 1948-49 and 1949-50, XU and UC played each other during the regular season and met again in the season-ending Cincinnati Invitational tournament.
- While the tourney was discontinued after 1949-50, the schools played twice a season for the next eight years.
- The series was deadlocked at four wins each after the first eight clashes, but Cincinnati won the next three games (March 18, 1950 - March 8, 1951) and has led the series since. ff UC held a 12-10 advantage before launching a 12- game win streak (Feb. 13, 1957 - March 3, 1967), and from the mid-1950's to the late 1970's, the Bearcats captured 22 of 24 clashes.
- Since the schools went to playing just once a year in 1958-59, UC and XU have played 24 times when one or both of the schools were ranked nationally in the Associated Press standings; UC owns a 13-11 record in those games. UC was ranked No. 1 in four of those games (1999-00; 1996-97; 1962-63; 1959-60).
- Mick Cronin won his debut in the Shootout on Dec. 13, 2006, becoming the first rookie head coach in the last seven to win his first time out.
LAST TIME VS XAVIER
- Xavier 83, UC 79 (2OT): In the first double-overtime game in the history of the Crosstown Shootout, Xavier pulled out a thrilling 83-79 win.
- After the Bearcats went up by three points with 3:03 left in the second overtime, Xavier scored the final seven points of the game to pull out the victory.
- Xavier outscored UC 28-10 from the free throw line. UC was 10-for-22 (.455) from the charity stripe, while the Musketeers were 28-for-36 (.778).
- Lance Stephenson - career high 22 pts., 6 reb.; Yancy Gates - 18 points, 6 reb.; Deonta Vaughn - 13 pts., career-high tying 9 reb.