Men's Basketball |
Jan. 11, 2013
CINCINNATI – University of Cincinnati junior guard Sean Kilpatrick has been named to the John R. Wooden Award Midseason Top 25 list it was announced by the Los Angeles Athletic Club on Thursday night.
Kilpatrick ranks fourth in the BIG EAST Conference in scoring, averaging 17.7 points. The native of Yonkers, N.Y. also ranks fifth in the league with 2.31 three-pointers per game. He has scored in double figures in 15 of 16 UC games this season. Named a preseason first team All-BIG EAST selection by the league’s coaches, Kilpatrick has won weekly honors from the conference four times this season, including player of the week accolades on Nov. 26.
The midseason list, selected by the Wooden Award National Advisory Board, recognizes those student-athletes who, based on their performances during November, December and early January, are frontrunners for the most prestigious individual honor in college basketball.
Kilpatrick is one of five student-athletes selected from the BIG EAST – most of any conference - along with Michael Carter-Williams of Syracuse, Jack Cooley of Notre Dame, Otto Porter of Georgetown and Russ Smith of Louisville. He was also one of six juniors named to the list.
The Wooden Award is bestowed upon the nation’s best player at institution of higher education who has proven to his university that he is making progress toward graduation and maintaining a minimum cumulative 2.0 GPA.
The Wooden Award All-American Team, consisting of the nation’s top 10 players, will be announced the week of the “Elite Eight” round of the NCAA Tournament. The John R. Wooden Award Player of the Year presented by Wendy’s will be announced on ESPN during the Final Four Weekend in Atlanta. The 2013 Wooden Award Gala presented by Wendy’s will take place April 11-13 at The Los Angeles Athletic Club. The Gala will honor the Men's and Women's Wooden Award winners, All Americans and the Legends of Coaching Award winner, Kansas Head Coach Bill Self.
Kilpatrick was named to the award’s preseason Top 50 list on Dec. 8.
2013 John R. Wood Award Midseason List
1. Anthony Bennett, UNLV, freshman forward
2. Laurence Bowers, Missouri, senior forward
3. Trey Burke, Michigan, junior guard
4. Isaiah Canaan, Murray State, senior guard
5. Michael Carter-Williams, Syracuse, sophomore-guard
6. Jack Cooley, Notre Dame, senior center
7. Seth Curry, Duke, senior guard
8. Jamaal Franklin, San Diego State, junior guard
9. Erick Green, Virginia Tech, senior guard
10. Elias Harris, Gonzaga, senior forward
11. Pierre Jackson, Baylor, senior guard
12. Sean Kilpatrick, Cincinnati, junior guard
13. C.J. McCollum, Lehigh, senior guard
14. Doug McDermott, Creighton, junior forward
15. Ben McLemore, Kansas, freshman forward
16. Brandon Paul, Illinois, senior guard
17. Mason Plumlee, Duke, senior center
18. Otto Porter Jr., Georgetown, sophomore forward
19. Phil Pressey, Missouri, junior guard
20. Marcus Smart, Oklahoma State, freshman guard
21. Russ Smith, Louisville, junior guard
22. DeShaun Thomas, Ohio State, junior forward
23. Jeff Withey, Kansas, senior center
24. Nate Wolters, South Dakota State, senior guard
25. Cody Zeller, Indiana, sophomore center