Sept. 5, 2010
· Cincinnati Game Captains: Collin McCafferty (11), Jason Kelce (60), Derek Wolfe (95).
· UC traveled with 17 players on their first road trip, seven redshirt freshmen, and eight true freshmen.
· Nine Bearcats made their first starts against Fresno State. Maalik Bomar (LB), C.J. Cobb (OL), Evan Davis (OL), Vidal Hazelton (WR), John Hughes (DL), Reuben Johnson (DB), Brandon Mills (DL), Wesley Richardson (DB), and Chris Williams (DB).
· Nine UC players made their first appearance in a UC jersey. Vidal Hazelton (WR), Adrian Witty (DB), Aaron Roberson (DB), Bruce Horner (DB), Mitch Meador (DL), Evan Davis (OL), Blake Annen (TE), Monte Taylor (DL), and Tom DeTemple (LS).
· NFL final rosters were announced Saturday night, and 11 former Bearcats made the cut. Those playing this year include: Connor Barwin (Houston Texans), Brent Celek (Philadelphia Eagles), Trent Cole (Philadelphia Eagles), Mardy Gilyard (St. Louis Rams), Kevin Huber (Cincinnati Bengals), Jeff Linkenbach (Indianapolis Colts), Ricardo Mathews (Indianapolis Colts), Haruki Nakamura (Baltimore Ravens), Tony Pike (Carolina Panthers), Brandon Underwood (Green Bay Packers), Mike Wright (New England Patriots).
· In the first quarter, UC's defense held Fresno State to eight yards of offense on four drives. The Bulldogs punted three times and UC had an interception.
· UC is 76-38-10 in openers and the series with Fresno State is tied at one game apiece.
· UC falls to 18-19-2 all-time against Western Athletic Conference (WAC) teams.
· In 2009 matchup, Fresno State had possession for 43:42 of the game compared to UC's possession of 16:18. Cincinnati finished tonight's game leading in possession time 30:50 to 29:10.
· UC's 18 game regular season winning streak was snapped as was the Bearcats five-game winning streak in season openers.
· UC's last loss in a season opener was against then No. 9 Ohio State in 2004, a 27-6 loss.
· Last time scoring 14 pts or less, Oct. 11, 2008, a 13-10 win against Rutgers
· Head coach Butch Jones made his University of Cincinnati debut against Fresno State. Jones spent the previous three years at Central Michigan, winning a pair of Mid-American Conference titles.
· In the 2009 matchup between these two teams, DJ Woods had four catches for 53 yards. In the first half of tonight's game, he had five catches for 63 yards and a touchdown. He finished the game with ...
· Armon Binns had a catch early in the first quarter, extending his consecutive games with a reception streak to 14. He finished the game with seven catches for 55 yards.
· Quarterback Zach Collaros opened the game with five-straight completions. He finished 24-of-41 for 219 yards and one touchdown. He was sacked eight times.
· Pat Lambert made his first career interception with 3:10 left in the opening quarter. It gave UC the ball on Fresno's 35-yard line.
· The interception led to UC's first touchdown of the season, a 23-yard pass from Zach Collaros to DJ Woods.
· Collaros scored UC's second TD, a five-yard scamper up the middle. It was his fifth career rushing TD.
· Kicker Jacob Rogers kicked a pair of extra points in the game, running his career total to 270 points. He trails Jonathan Ruffin (1999-2002), who is UC's career leader with 315 points. It was his 150th extra point made and 153rd attempted, both already school records.
· Wide receiver Vidal Hazelton made his UC debut after transferring from the University of Southern California in 2009. He got his hands on the ball right away, returning the opening kickoff. He finished the game with six catches for 63 yards.
· Hazelton left the game with a leg injury with 14:47 left in the fourth quarter. He was injured on a kickoff return.
· Chazz Anderson entered the game with 2:37 left in the third quarter after Collaros was injured running out of bounds. Collaros returned on the next play.
· Derek Wolfe and Reuben Johnson led the defense with eight tackles apiece. JK Schaffer added seven stops and Dan Giordano had six tackles.