Sept. 14, 2013
Final Stats |
Photo Gallery 1 |
Photo Gallery 2
CINCINNATI 66, NORTHWESTERN STATE 9
SEPT. 14, 2013 ▪ NIPPERT STADIUM
UC CAPTAINS: Brendon Kay and Jordan Stepp
THE TOSS: Cincinnati won the toss and deferred. The Bearcats defended to south end zone to start the game.
- UC has won 26 straight home nonconference games at Nippert Stadium, dating back to a 30-24 win in three overtimes against Temple on Sept. 20, 2003.
- The Bearcats have won 59 games since 2007, the most among American Athletic Conference teams and are 22-7 since 2011.
- UC registered 669 yards of total offense against Northwestern State. The last time the Bearcats recorded at least 650 total yards was against Rutgers (661 yards on Nov. 20, 2010).
- The Bearcats defense allowed 179 total yards by the Demons. The last time UC allowed fewer than 200 total yards came against Southeast Missouri State (176 yards on Sept. 12, 2009).
- Zach Edwards (S), Howard Wilder (CB) and Terrell Hartsfield (DE) made their first career starts.
- After punting on their first possession, the Bearcats scored a touchdown on the next five drives.
- For the 15th straight game, the Bearcats tallied over 340 yards of offense.
- UC has recorded 400 total yards in each of its games this season.
- Going back to the 2012 Connecticut game, Cincinnati has at least one interception in four of its last five games. UC has also forced a turnover in five of its last six games.
- Cincinnati has recorded a passing touchdown in 18 of the last 19 games.
- Dating back to 2011, the Bearcats have scored a rushing touchdown in 25 of their last 29 games.
- The last time UC scored 35 points in the first half was Sept. 17, 2011 vs. Akron (49-0). It is also the last time UC was up at least 26 points at half.
- Cincinnati extended its lead to 42-9 early in the third quarter on a one play, seven second drive. Kay completed a 41-yard strike to Morrison.
- The Bearcats were 7 for 7 in the red zone with four rushing touchdowns, two passing TDs and a field goal.
- UC’s 66 points scored against Northwestern State were the Bearcats most in a game since posting a 72-10 season-opening win over Austin Peay on Sept. 2011.
NORTHWESTERN STATE NOTES
- The 26-point deficit at halftime was the largest since being down 38-10 to Sam Houston State last season.
- The last time NWSU lost by 40 or more points was a 49-3 loss to No. 2 LSU on Sept. 10, 2011.
INDIVIDUAL NOTES FOR CINCINNATI
- Kay was 12-of-14 passing for 277 yards and four touchdowns, which ties his touchdown total against Duke in the 2012 Belk Bowl. Four of his completions went for 40 or more yards with the longest being 49.
- After throwing an incompletion in his first pass attempt of the game, Kay completed 11 consecutive passes, including four completions for 30 or more yards. His last incompletion was a tip on his first passing attempt in the third quarter. The last time a UC player completed 10 or more consecutive passes was Nov. 27, 2012 when Zach Collaros completed 11 straight at Connecticut.
- John Lloyd posted a career-long punt of 45 yards in the first quarter.
- Ralph David Abernathy IV recorded a 26-yard rush in the first quarter, which is his longest this season. He finished with 82 yards on nine carries and a touchdown.
- Jared Golden had a career-long reception of 32 yards in the first quarter, which was his lone catch.
- Chris Moore grabbed his first touchdown reception of the season on the Bearcats’ second drive of the game. The touchdown was the third of his career. He finished the game with three receptions for 19 yards.
- Zach Edwards intercepted his first career pass in the first quarter. He finished with four tackles.
- Blake Annen had a 49-yard reception in the first quarter, which was his career-long reception and his lone catch of the game.
- Hosey Williams scored his first career rushing touchdown late in the first quarter to give UC a 14-0 lead. On the first snap of the fourth quarter, he scampered for a 77-yard run and was brought down at the one. He finished with 117 yards on 11 carries and two touchdowns.
- Max Morrison snatched a career-long 46-yard reception from Kay late in the second quarter. Morrison recorded another catch over 40 yards early in the third quarter as he caught 41-yard touchdown pass from Kay. He finished with two receptions for 87 yards.
- Sophomore transfer Mekale McKay pulled in a 40-yard reception from Kay in the second quarter for his first UC touchdown. It is his third career touchdown after scoring twice at Arkansas.
- Bennie Coney made his first career appearance on the Bearcats’ fifth drive of the game. He completed his first career pass to Travis Johnson for six yards, and his first touchdown was a 44-yard pass to Shakim Alonzo. Coney completed all five of his pass attempts for 60 yards and one touchdown.
- Tion Green notched his third career touchdown on a three-yard scamper late in the second quarter to give UC a 28-0 lead. Green finished the game with a career-high 66 yards on 11 rushes.
- Shakim Alonzo recorded his first career touchdown on a career-long reception of 44 yards.
- Tony Miliano made his seventh consecutive field goal late in the third quarter with a 30-yard boot.
- Nick Temple registered a career-high two sacks to go with six tackles (four solo) against the Demons.