Oct. 30, 2010
Final Stats |
Photo Gallery 1 |
Photo Gallery 2
2010 CINCINNATI FOOTBALL POSTGAME NOTES
Syracuse 31, Cincinnati 7
Oct. 30, 2010 – Nippert Stadium – Cincinnati, Ohio
- Cincinnati Game Captains: Jake Rogers, Jason Kelce, JK Schaffer, CJ Cobb
- UC won the toss and deferred to the second half. UC defended the north end zone.
- The loss marked the first time since Jan. 1, 2009 that UC scored seven points in a game (Virginia Tech 20, Cincinnati 7).
- The loss was UC’s worst at Nippert Stadium since a 38-0 victory by West Virginia on Nov. 9, 2005.
- UC’s 24-point loss to Syracuse was UC’s worst since losing 51-24 to Florida on Jan. 1, 2010.
- The loss was UC’s first back-to-back defeats in BIG EAST Conference action since Oct. 20, 2007 (Pittsburgh 24-17) and Oct. 6, 2007 (Louisville 28-24) – also the last time UC lost back-to-back games.
- After averaging 528.3 yards of total offense over the last four games, UC finished with 277 total yards against Syracuse.
- Chazz Anderson recorded his third career start at quarterback and first start since Oct. 11, 2008 vs. Rutgers, playing for the injured Zach Collaros. He finished the game 18-for-31 with 148 yards, one touchdown and one interception.
- Offensive lineman Alex Hoffman started for the first since Oct. 9 vs. Miami (OH). He has missed the last two games due to injury.
- UC caused its first turnover in four games (Oklahoma) when JK Schaffer caused a fumble in the first quarter. Schaffer recorded the last turnover as well (interception vs. Oklahoma) and notched his first sack of the season on today’s turnover. John Hughes picked up his first fumble recovery of the season on the play.
- Reuben Johnson recorded his first career sack, a 12-yard loss, on Syracuse’s first drive. He picked off a Syracuse pass in the third quarter, his first career interception.
- DJ Woods caught his seventh touchdown of the season on a 33-yard pass from Anderson in the second quarter. It was Anderson’s first touchdown pass since Oct. 3, 2008 (at Marshall).
- Dan Giordano had a sack in the second quarter, an 8-yard loss for Syracuse. Giordano leads the team with 4.5 sacks.
- Anthony McClung had his third kick return of the season, in the third quarter, racking up a 28-yard, career-long return.
- Walter Stewart had a career-high 12 tackles going into the fourth quarter. He finished the game with 13 tackles.
- Chris Williams recorded his first career sack, in the fourth quarter, forcing a Syracuse punt.
- Brendon Kay entered the game in the fourth quarter, his third career appearance and first of 2010. He completed three passes on six attempts.
Syracuse Football at Cincinnati
October 30, 2010
The Orange is 6-2 in 2010, which is the best start for the Orange since 2001. In 2001, Syracuse finished 10-3. The last time Syracuse won six games in a season was 2004, when it finished with a 6-6 record.
Syracuse is 3-1 in the BIG EAST Conference for the first time since 2004. The Orange finished that season 4-2 in the league, sharing the conference title.
Syracuse has won its first three BIG EAST road games for the first time since 2001.
The Syracuse defense has held opponents scoreless in 16-of-32 quarters this season and has shut out five opponents in the second half. The Orange has held four of eight opponents to less than 10 points.
Syracuse has forced at least two turnovers in five of eight games this season, including two fumble recoveries and an interception at Cincinnati. Syracuse has forced 34 turnovers in the Doug Marrone era (20 games), including 17 interceptions and 17 fumble recoveries.
Senior defensive tackle Andrew Lewis joined 2010 Orange captains Ryan Bartholomew, Rob Long and Derrell Smith as the game day captain.
Senior running back Delone Carter gained 109 yards against the Bearcats. He has 2,617 career yards on 555 carries, which ranks fifth on the Orange career list. He has nine career 100-yard rushing games.
Junior quarterback Ryan Nassib has thrown at least one touchdown pass in eight consecutive games. He has 14 touchdown passes this year, which is tied for eighth on the Syracuse single-season record list. He is tied with Marvin Graves (1992). Nassib’s 16 career touchdown passes is tied for 10th in Syracuse history, with Todd Philcox (1985-88) and Cam Dantley (2007-08).
Junior running back Antwon Bailey moved into seventh on the Orange record list for receptions by a running back with four against Cincinnati. He has 48 receptions for 405 yards in 27 games at Syracuse.
Senior linebacker Derrell Smith recovered a fumble in the second quarter. It is his second fumble recovery in 2010 and the fourth in his career.
Senior center Ryan Bartholomew recovered a fumble in the end zone, scoring his first career touchdown.
Senior safety Max Suter forced a fumble in the second quarter. It is his second forced fumble of the season and the third of his career.