Nov. 9, 2013
Final Stats |
CINCINNATI 28, SMU 25
NOV. 9, 2013 ▪ NIPPERT STADIUM
UC CAPTAINS: Greg Blair and Mark Barr
FLAG CARRIER: Adam Dempsey
THE TOSS: SMU won the toss and elected to receive. Cincinnati defended the north end zone.
- Prior to Saturday’s game, Cincinnati and SMU had never met. Cincinnati now leads the all-time series 1-0 after winning 28-25.
- Seventeen seniors were honored before Saturday’s game. Those seniors were: Marque Aiken, Blake Annen, Greg Blair, Austen Bujnoch, Arryn Chenault, Derek Cox, Andre Cureton, Adam Dempsey, Deven Drane, Brendon Kay, Anthony King, Sam Longo, Jordan Luallen, Anthony McClung, Mitch Meader, Dan Sprague and Jordan Stepp.
- Saturday’s game versus SMU was the last day game at Nippert Stadium until the 2015 season.
- Cincinnati finished with 462 yards of total offense. It marked the 22nd consecutive game that the Bearcats have tallied at least 340 total yards.
- The Bearcats improve to 5-0 at home this season.
- After falling behind 10-0 in the first quarter, UC rattled off 28 unanswered. SMU ended the streak with a touchdown in the fourth quarter. It is the third time this season that the Bearcats have scored 28 or more unanswered points.
- The Bearcats successfully recovered an onside kick early in the third quarter after taking a 21-10 lead. It was the first onside kick recovered by UC in over a decade. (Statistics prior to 2000 are currently unavailable)
- Cincinnati took a 28-10 lead late in the third quarter on a 96-yard drive that took 8:12. Both the yardage and time elapsed were season longs.
- QB Brendon Kay completed 27 of 32 passes and threw for 299 yards and two touchdowns.
- Kay connected with WR Mekale McKay on a 62-yard pass midway through the second quarter, which is UC’s longest passing play of the season. It was the fourth time this season that the Bearcats had a one-play scoring drive.
- Kay completed 14 consecutive passes, which began with a 14-yard reception by Max Morrison at 13:32 in the second quarter and ended at 10:45 in the third quarter on an SMU interception. His career long is 19, which spanned his final 15 passes versus Temple (10/11) and the first four passes against UConn (10/19).
- WR Anthony McClung had eight receptions for team-high 97 yards.
- WR Chris Moore caught a 17-yard pass early in the second quarter for his team-high fifth touchdown reception. He ended the game with five catches for 37 yards.
- QB Jordan Luallen gave UC a 21-10 lead early in the third quarter on a two-yard read option up the middle. The rushing touchdown was his second of the season and fourth of his career. He ended the game with eight rushes for 29 yards.
- RB Tion Green rumbled for his seventh touchdown run of the season to put UC up 28-10 late in the third quarter. He finished with six carries for 47 yards.
- S Adrian Witty recorded a career high with a team-best 11 tackles versus SMU. Seven of the stops were solo tackles. He also had a tackle for loss.
- DT Jordan Stepp garnered his fifth sack of the year at 13:37 in the second quarter. Brad Harrah also registered a sack for the Bearcats.