Nov. 25, 2007
Final Stats |
AP Action Photos
Cincinnati 52, Syracuse 31
Carrier Dome - Syracuse, N.Y.
Nov. 24, 2007
Captains: 13 Haruki Nakamura and 72 Digger Bujnoch
Cincinnati won the toss and elected to receive.
· Cincinnati takes its third consecutive victory over Syracuse and evens the all-time series at 4-4. UC is unbeaten in three matchups against the Orange since joining the BIG EAST Conference.
· The outcome gives the Bearcats nine wins for the fourth time in the program's 120 seasons of competition. The 9-3 regular-season finish is Cincinnati's highest win total since the 1953 UC squad carded a 9-1 record. In 1976, Cincinnati finished 8-3, but later received an additional victory after a forfeit to list a 9-2 record in the UC annals.
· BIG EAST Conference Coach of the Year candidate Brian Kelly moves to 6-1 away from Nippert Stadium. In his first year, Kelly is now 10-3 at the reins of the Bearcats' program. The Bearcats finish the regular season 5-1 on the road.
· Dome Sweet Dome: Cincinnati improves to 3-0 indoors since 2005. The streak dates back to Oct. 29, 2005, when UC claimed a 22-16 win over Syracuse in the Carrier Dome and includes the 2007 International Bowl victory. Coincidentally, Cincinnati has worn black uniforms in all three games.
· Marcus Barnett snared three touchdown passes from Ben Mauk to help UC to a 35-24 lead. For Barnett, a redshirt freshman, he now has 13 touchdown receptions this season. Barnett broke Bearcats' Hall of Famer Jim O'Brien's 30-year old record for touchdown grabs in a season. Barnett is currently second in the nation among rookie receivers in scoring catches.
· The Bearcats carded 11 sacks against the Orange. Their high water mark on the year was five, set in the 47-10 triumph at Miami (OH). The Bearcats finish the regular season with 38 sacks. In 2006, they totaled 31 sacks in 13 games.
· In the game Cincinnati established single-season program highs for points (441), touchdowns (59), passing touchdowns (32), penalties (114) and penalty yardage (977).
· Quarterback Ben Mauk set a new career-high with 29-of-42 passing for 431 yards through the air. His total of 431 passing yards for Cincinnati, were the second-most ever recorded in a game. Mauk added a 13-yard scoring run to seal the win.
· Mauk finishes the regular season with a record 27 touchdown passes. Mauk's touchdown to interception margin of +21 (27 touchdowns to 6 interceptions) is currently tops in school history. The graduate transfer is ranked in the top 10 in UC history with 334 pass attempts (8th), 205 completions (7th), 2,787 passing yards (4th).
· Returning to the scene of his top game as a Bearcat, Earnest Jackson made a 32-yard reception in the second quarter. In 2005, Jackson totaled seven catches for 86 yards in the 22-16 win at Syracuse.
· Connor Barwin registered his second-best game of the year with 90 yards on four receptions.
· Cincinnati's duo of Marcus Barnett (11 catches for 127 yards) and Dominick Goodman's (8 receptions for 98 yards) was two yards away from becoming the first Bearcats' duo to both collect more than 100 yards receiving in the same game since the tandem of Albert Sweet (5-130) and Sean Stewart (6-127) each reached the century mark in a 44-12 win over Ball State on Oct. 16, 1993. It marked the eighth time in UC history that the feat had been accomplished. The duo of Tom Rossley and Jim O'Brien did it four times during the 1968 campaign.
· The Bearcats' defensive front applied pressure all night long, registering a season-high 11 sacks for 89 yards. Anthony Hoke and Lamonte Nelms each registered three sacks. The Orange finished minus-15 yards on the ground.
· Ray Guy Award finalist Kevin Huber averaged 51.2 yards on four punts. Huber boomed four punts with a long punt of 60 yards and one landed inside the 20-yard line.