Postgame Notes: Cincinnati at Hawai'i|
Dec. 7, 2008
2008 CINCINNATI FOOTBALL POSTGAME NOTES
No. 13/12 Cincinnati at Hawai’i – 12/6/08
Aloha Stadium – Honolulu, Hawai’i
• Final score: Hawai’i 24 (7-6), No. 13/12 Cincinnati 29 (11-2)
• The Bearcats won the toss and elected to receive. Hawai’i defended the north end zone.
• Down 24-10 in the fourth quarter, the Bearcats staged their biggest comeback of the season by scoring a season-high 19 points in the final quarter.
• The Bearcats won 11 games for the first time in school history.
• UC has won six consecutive games, matching last season’s streak of six straight victories to open the season.
• UC won its first game of the season when trailing after three quarters.
• UC has an interception in six straight games and had their second interception for a touchdown when Brandon Underwood picked off a pass and returned it for a touchdown in the fourth quarter.
• UC had its second safety of the season in the fourth quarter, pulling the Bearcats within two, 24-22.
• UC gave up 14 points in the first five minutes of the third quarter, only the second time this season that an opponent has scored 14 or more points in the third quarter.
• Dominick Goodman injured his right shoulder on the first offensive play of the game and did not return. He did not record a catch, snapping his 32-game streak with a reception. His status is day-to-day.
• Dustin Grutza entered the game in the second quarter, his fifth appearance at quarterback. He returned in the fourth quarter. On his second offensive possession in the fourth quarter, Grutza scrambled and tossed a 69-yard touchdown pass to Mardy Gilyard in the fourth quarter, giving UC a 29-24 advantage and leading to the victory. It was Grutza’s fifth touchdown pass of the season and his third completion of the game.
• Jake Rogers connected on a 53-yard field goal in the first quarter. It is the second longest field of the season, tied for the fourth longest in school history, and is his third field goal of 50-plus yards this season. He is in seventh place in school history with 27 career field goals.
• Mardy Gilyard recorded his sixth 100-plus yard receiving game of the season and his eighth career 100-plus yard receiving game. He finished with seven receptions, one touchdown and 136 receiving yards.
• Corey Smith had his second sack of the season in the second quarter. He had his first forced fumble of the season and third of his career in the fourth quarter, leading to Hawai’i safety and pulling the Bearcats within two, 24-22.
• Jake Rogers had his second field goal attempt of the game blocked and returned 35 yards. Terrill Byrd recovered a Hawai’i fumble on the next play. It was Byrd’s first fumble recovery of the season and the second of his career.
• Terrill Byrd had a sack in the fourth quarter, his 4.5 sack of the season.
• Connor Barwin earned his 11th sack of the season in the first quarter.
• Delbert Ferguson caught the first pass of his career, a 1-yard touchdown reception, giving the Bearcats a 10-0 lead. It was also Ferguson’s first career touchdown.
• Charley Howard had his second reception of the season in the first quarter, a gain of five yards.
• John Goebel had a 41-yard kick return to open the game. After a fumble on a kickoff return in the third quarter, he followed it up with a season-long 43 yard kickoff return.
• Brandon Underwood had his third career interception, and first career touchdown, when he returned an interception 20 yards in the fourth quarter.
• DJ Woods had a 20-yard punt return in the fourth quarter, setting up a 44-yard field goal for Jake Rogers, pulling UC within four, 24-20.
• Alex Daniels made his first career start at defensive end for UC.
• Isaiah Pead had a season long carry (38 yards) in the second quarter. He gained a season and career-high in rushing yards before halftime (70 yards at the half). Pead had his first kick return of his career, a 21-yard return. He finished the game with eight carries and 74 rushing yards.