Aug. 9, 2012
WEST HARRISON, Ind. – The University of Cincinnati football worked out under cloudy skies Thursday in helmets at the Higher Ground Conference & Retreat Center in West Harrison, Ind.
It was the second preseason practice for the Bearcats who will don shoulder pads Friday as the NCAA mandated acclimatization process continues its five-day progression.
Keeping the ball off the ground has been a major point of emphasis for the coaching staff the first two days of practice. Head Coach Butch Jones has been carrying a handheld counter to keep track.
“It was an extremely productive day,” Jones said. “I thought we took great strides from day one to day two. In the throw game the big emphasis was balls on the ground, whether they’re turnovers, fumbles, incomplete passes. The first day we had 122. Today we were down to 42."
One position move has occurred during the first few days of camp as Jordan Luallen (Greenwood, Ind./Center Grove/Georgia Tech) has moved to linebacker for the time being after playing quarterback and wide receiver in the previous year.
“We’re trying to develop depth,” Jones said. “That’s one of our concerns going into the season. Jordan Luallen is a student of the game. He’s played in games. He understands what’s at stake, so that’s why we’re trying him there and we like what we see so far.”
UC returns to the practice field Friday for its third preseason workout.
NFL BEARCATS ...
- With NFL training camps underway, 21 former UC players are getting shots to play at the next level, including seven members of UC’s 2011 BIG EAST Conference Championship squad.
- The NFL Bearcats are: LB Connor Barwin (Houston), WR Armon Binns (Cincinnati), TE Brent Celek (Philadelphia), DE Trent Cole (Philadelphia), WR Mardy Gilyard (Philadelphia), TE Ben Guidugli (St. Louis), WR Vidal Hazelton (Cincinnati), P Kevin Huber (Cincinnati), DT John Hughes (Cleveland), C Jason Kelce (Philadelphia), OT Jeffrey Linkenbach (Indianapolis), DT Ricardo Mathews (Indianapolis), S Haruki Nakamura (Carolina), RB Isaiah Pead (St. Louis), TE Adrien Robinson (New York Giants), LB JK Schaffer (Jacksonville), DE Monte Taylor (Philadelphia), CB Brandon Underwood (Oakland), LS Mike Windt (San Diego), DT Derek Wolfe (Denver) and WR DJ Woods (Tennessee).
- OG Trevor Canfield (New York Jets) and DE Mike Wright (New England) retired during the offseason.
NEW FACES ON THE COACHING STAFF ...
- The Bearcats added two new faces to the coaching staff in the offseason, welcoming running backs coach Roy Manning and cornerbacks coach Shannon Morrison to the staff.
- Manning is in his second tour of duty in Clifton, having served as a graduate assistant during the 2010 season. He spent 2011 at the University of Michigan.
- Morrison, a 16-year coaching veteran who has been a defensive coordinator at five different schools, spent the 2011 season at Memphis and was most recently at Holy Cross.
- Along with the additions, there was some staff responsibilities changed. John Jancek becomes the defensive coordinator and will continue to mentor the linebackers. Mark Elder has moved to defense to coach the safeties and will also add the role of special teams coordinator while TJ Weist adds the duties of recruiting coordinator.
- When tweeting and engaging others on social media networks about UC or the Bearcats, please use #Bearcats.