Sept. 13, 2012
Cincinnati Notes | Delaware State Notes | Watch | Listen Live
Cincinnati (1-0) vs. Delaware State (1-1)
September 15, 2012 • 7 p.m. ET • ESPN3 • 102.7 WEBN FM
Cincinnati, Ohio • Nippert Stadium (35,000)
GAMEDAY INFORMATION: UCGameday.com
FOOTBALL SQUARES OFF WITH DELAWARE STATE SATURDAY
The University of Cincinnati football team continues its 125th season Saturday against Delaware State. The Bearcats and Hornets will kick things off at 7 p.m. ET inside historic Nippert Stadium. The game will be available online exclusively on ESPN3 and WatchESPN.com. UC opened its 2012 campaign against BIG EAST Conference foe Pittsburgh, knocking off the Panthers 34-10 to retain the River City Rivalry Trophy. DL Walter Stewart was named the BIG EAST Defensve Player of the Week and QB Munchie Legaux was named to the conference’s weekly honor roll. Delaware State enters the game at 1-1, winning its season opener against VMI before dropping a road game at in-state rival Delaware last Saturday. UC puts a 21-game home non-conference game winning streak on the line along with a current four-game streak that dates to the 2011 season. Saturday will serve as Hometown Heroes Day for UC. Various charities and military organizations will be recognized before and during the game.
Saturday marks the first meeting between the two schools and UC’s first game against a team from Delaware.
Butch Jones, the 2011 BIG EAST Conference Coach of the Year, enters his third season with the University of Cincinnati program and his sixth as a collegiate head coach with a career record of 42-24. He has won three conference championships (2007, 2009 at Central Michigan, 2011 at Cincinnati).
KERMIT BLOUNT is in his second year at Delaware State with a career record of 95-96-3. Blount has more than 28 years of collegiate coaching experience, including 16 as the head football coach for Winston-Salem State University in North Carolina.
- Jim Barbar Play-By-Play
- John Gregory Analyst
- Rontina McCann Sideline
RADIO (WEBN 102.7 FM)
- Dan Hoard Play-By-Play
- Jim Kelly Jr. Analyst
- Tom Gelehrter Sideline
- Mo Egger Host/Engineer
STREAKS, STORYLINES, SIDEBARDS
- The University of Cincinnati football team, under the direction of third-year head coach Butch Jones will play its 125th season of football in 2012.
- The Bearcats program dates to 1885 and ranks as one of the 10 oldest in major college football and following a 10-3 campaign in 2011, holds an all-time mark of 562-553-51.
- UC has won three of the past four BIG EAST Championships and has played in a bowl game in five of the past six seasons.
- Jones, the 2011 BIG EAST Conference Coach of the Year, enters his third season with the Bearcats program and his sixth as a collegiate head coach.
- The Bearcats have won 56 games over the last seven years, the most among current members of the Big East.
- UC returns 13 starters and 43 letterwinners from the 2011 squad that won its third BIG EAST Conference title in four years and replaced seven offensive starters and four defensive starters in the lead up to the 2012 season.
- UC has won 21 straight home non-conference games at Nippert Stadium, dating back to a 30-24 win over Temple in three overtimes on Sept. 20, 2003.
- The Bearcats enter Saturday on a four-game winning streak.
- DL Walter Stewart was named the BIG EAST Conference Defensive Player of the Week after tallying nine tackles to go with 3.5 tackles for loss, two sacks and a forced fumble that led to a UC TD in the season opener against Pittsburgh.
- QB Munchie Legaux was named to the league’s weekly honor roll accounted for a career-high 322 yards of total offense against Pitt - running six times for a career-high 117 yards and completing 14 of 28 pass attempts for 205 yards and two TDs with no interceptions.
- Saturday will serve as Hometown Heroes Day for UC. Various charities and military organizations will be recognized.