Sept. 17, 2013
CINCINNATI NOTES | MIAMI NOTES | AMERICAN NOTES | LISTEN | WATCH
CINCINNATI (2-1) at MIAMI OHIO (0-2)
SATURDAY, SEPT. 21, 2013 • 4 p.m. (ET) • ESPN3 • 102.7 WEBN FM • OXFORD, OHIO • YAGER STADIUM
Site: Yager Stadium (24,286)
Radio: 102.7 WEBN FM/Sirius 137
Live Stats: GoBEARCATS.com
Series Record: Miami leads 59-51-7
Last Meeting: 10/6/12 (UC W, 52-14)
In Oxford: Miami leads 14-9-2
Rankings (AP/Coaches): na/na
2013 Record: 0-2
Head Coach: Don Treadwell
Record at Miami (Yrs.): 8-17 (3rd)
Rankings (AP/Coaches): na/na
2013 Record: 2-1
Head Coach: Tommy Tuberville
Record at UC (Years): 2-1 (1st)
Football Heads To Oxford To Face Miami (Ohio) For The 118th Time
The University of Cincinnati football team closes out non-conference play against longtime rival Miami (Ohio) on Saturday at 4 p.m. ET inside Yager Stadium. The two schools play annually for the Victory Bell, one of two traveling trophies on the Bearcats schedule.
SCOUTING MIAMI (OHIO)
Miami enters the game 0-2, falling in road games at Marshall (52-14) and Kentucky (41-7). A pair of QBs have played, with leading rusher Austin Gearing (27.5 ypg) and leading passer Austin Boucher (94.0 ypg). Kent Kern has paced the defense, averaging 7.5 tackles per game. The RedHawks entered the season with 12 seniors, 14 juniors, 23 sophomores and 51 freshmen.
Saturday marks the 118th time the two schools will meet in the second-oldest NCAA FBS rivalry. Miami (Ohio) leads the all-time series 59-51-7 but UC has won seven-straight games, including a 52-14 win in Nippert Stadium a year ago.
Tommy Tuberville, a 17-year head coaching veteran was named the 41st football head coach at the University of Cincinnati on Dec. 8, 2012. Widely regarded as one of the top coaches and recruiters in the collegiate game, comes to Cincinnati after three years at Texas Tech. Tuberville holds a 132-78 career record with head coaching stops at Texas Tech, Auburn and Ole Miss.
Don Treadwell a former UC assistant, is in his third season as the head coach at Miami (OH). He has a career mark of 8-17. The 1982 Miami (OH) grad spent the previous four seasons as the offensive coordinator for former UC head coach Mark Dantonio at Michigan State. Treadwell, the sixth RedHawks alum to hold the job, was a wideout for Miami from 1978-81.
CONSTRUCTION COMING SOON
Nippert Stadium will undergo an $86-million renovation and expansion starting in December of 2013. The 98-year old facility will feature a new five-story west side pavilion with suites and patio and club seats as well as concourse, restroom and concession enhancements on both the west and east sides. The capacity will increase to 40,000. UC will play off site in 2014 at Paul Brown Stadium downtown and return to Nippert in 2015, the 100th anniversary of original construction on the stadium.
STREAKS, STORYLINES, SIDEBARS
- The University of Cincinnati football team is playing its 126th season in 2013. The Bearcats’ program dates to 1885 and is one of the 10 oldest in major college football.
- UC won four of the final five BIG EAST Championships and has played in a bowl game in six of the past seven seasons and two straight years.
- UC has won 59 games since 2007, the most among the current American Athletic Conference and are 21-7 since 2011 with two conference titles and a pair of bowl wins.
- Nippert Stadium now features a new UBU Sports’ Speed Series S5-M synthetic turf system, the same product used at Paul Brown Stadium, the Superdome and Metrodome.
- UC is the only school in the country among the BCS AQ Conferences (American, ACC, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-12, SEC) to win four conference titles in the last five years.
- UC is one of only four NCAA FBS AQ programs to have won 10 games in five of the past six seasons, joining Alabama, Oklahoma and Oregon.
- The Miami-Cincinnati series (1888) ranks fifth among most-played rivalries in NCAA FBS and is the second-oldest FBS rivalry, behind Michigan-Notre Dame (1887).
- QB Munchie Legaux suffered a knee injury against Illinois, had surgery on Sept. 13 and will miss the rest of the year.
- Cincinnati has averaged 516.7 yards of total offense through three games, scoring at a 41.7 points per game clip.
- UC ranks among the Top-15 teams in the country averaging 7.3 yards per play.
- QB Brendon Kay moved into the starting role last week against Northwestern State. He was 12-of-14 for 277 yards and 4 TDs against the Demons.
- RB Hosey Williams has averaged 76.7 yards per game and 7.4 yards per carry. He had his first career 100-yard game against NWSU, toting the ball 11 times for 117 yards and a pair of TDs.
- WR Anthony McClung has 10 catches for 144 yards and a score.
- LBs Greg Blair and Nick Temple lead the defense with 21 and 16 tackles, respectively.