Sept. 26, 2011
The University of Cincinnati football team will head 30 miles north Saturday, closing out non-conference play with the 116th Battle for the Victory Bell against longtime rival Miami (OH) University, the defending Mid-American Conference Champions. The Bearcats are 3-1 on the season with wins over Austin Peay, Akron and NC State. Miami is 0-3, falling to Missouri, Minnesota and Bowling Green.
- Radio: 700 WLW AM
- Satellite Radio: n/a
- Live Stats: GoBEARCATS.com
- Internet Radio: 700wlw.com
- Twitter: @GoBEARCATS
- Series Record: Miami leads 59-49-7
- Last Meeting: 10/9/10 (UC W, 45-3)
- In Oxford: Miami leads 14-8-2
- Rankings (AP/Coaches): nr/nr
- 2011 Record: 3-1
- Last Game: Sept. 22, 2011 in Cincinnati, Ohio, defeated NC State 44-14
- Head Coach: Butch Jones
- Record at UC (Years): 7-9 (2nd)
- Career Record (Years): 34-22 (5th)
- vs. MU: 1-0
- Rankings (AP/Coaches): nr/nr
- 2011 Record: 0-3
- Last Game: Sept. 24, 2011 in Oxford, Ohio, lost to Bowling Green 37-23
- Head Coach: Don Treadwell
- Record at School (Years): 0-3 (first)
- Career Record (Years): Same
- vs. UC: First Meeting
- Jim Barbar Play-By-Play
- John Gregory Analyst
RADIO WLW (700 AM)
- Dan Hoard Play-By-Play
- Jim Kelly Jr. Analyst
- Tom Gelehrter Sideline
- Mo Egger Host/Engineer
UC Game Notes | Miami (OH) Game Notes | BIG EAST Notes | MAC Notes
Saturday marks the 116th time the two schools will meet in the oldest NCAA FBS non-conference rivalry. Miami (OH) leads the all-time series 59-49-7 but UC has won five-straight games, including 45-3 in a year ago inside Nippert Stadium. Isaiah Pead ran for 197 yards and a touchdown, Zach Collaros was 14-of-17 for 216 yards and three touchdowns while DJ Woods had five catches for 54 yards.
Butch Jones is in his second season at the helm of the UC program and is 7-9. Jones most recently led Central Michigan University to a pair of Mid-American Conference Championships and three-straight bowl appearances. He holds a 34-22 overall record and a 21-8 mark in league games.
Don Treadwell, a former UC assistant, is in his first season as the head coach at Miami (OH). He has a career mark of 0-3. The 1982 Miami (OH) grad spent the previous four seasons as the offensive coordinator for former UC head coach Mark Dantonio at Michigan State. Treadwell, the sixth RedHawks alum to hold the job, was a wideout for Miami from 1978-81.
STREAKS, STORYLINES, SIDEBARS
- The University of Cincinnati, one of the five oldest football programs in college football, is in its 124th football season with an all-time record of 554-551-51 (.502).
- Head coach Butch Jones is in his second season at the helm of the program, returning 16 starters, including nine on defense.
- UC also brought back the BIG EAST Conference's top retuning passer (Zach Collaros), rusher (Isaiah Pead), tackler (JK Schaffer) and leader in all-purpose yards and receptions (DJ Woods) along with 51 letterwinners from the 2010 squad.
- The Bearcats scored an NCAA FBS high 72 points in its season-opening win over Austin Peay. The 72 points were the most for any UC team in the modern era.
- P Pat O'Donnell (ST) and LB JK Schaffer (Def) were named BIG EAST Conference Players of the Week Monday.
- Miami and Cincinnati play annually for the Victory Bell, painted red and black on one side and red and white on the other.
- UC enters the week leading the BIG EAST in scoring offense (49.5), rushing offense (239.2), interceptions (8), punting (47.6), net punting (44.7), sacks against (0.8), third down conversions (52.1 %), turnover margin (+14/3.5) and red zone offense (95.7 %).
- UC is tied with Vanderbilt for the NCAA FBS lead in turnovers gained with 16. UC's number of TOs gained in 2010 was 13.
- UC's eight interceptions, which ties its total number of picks in 2010, ranks tied for third in the FBS.
- Through four games in 2011, the Bearcats sit at an NCAA FBS best +14 (3.5 tpg) in turnover margin after finishing -15 a year ago.
- The UC defense limited N.C. State to minus-26 yards rushing. It was the third-lowest rushing total for a UC opponent in school history and the fewest since allowing minus-37 yards to Wichita State in 1974.
- KR Ralph David Abernathy IV is off to a good start, leading the BIG EAST with a 24.9 yards per return average. His long return of 60 yards came against Austin Peay.
- RB Isaiah Pead rushed for a season-high 167 yards against NC State. He is averaging 7.9 yards per carry, a mark that leads the BIG EAST.
- Pead has scored UC's first touchdown in each of the first four games with all four scores coming on the ground.
- DT Derek Wolfe leads the BIG EAST Conference with four sacks (1.0 spg).
- QB Zach Collaros (5,122) recently became the fifth UC signal caller to crack the 5,000-passing yards plateau.
- LB Greg Blair, who was in training camp, has rejoined the team.