Oct. 1, 2013
NOTES: Cincinnati | USF | American // LISTEN // WATCH // LIVE STATS
CINCINNATI (3-1, 0-0) at USF (0-4, 0-0)
SATURDAY, OCT. 5, 2013 • 7 p.m. (ET) • ESPN3 • 700 WLW AM • TAMPA, FLA. • RAYMOND JAMES STADIUM
The game will be televised to sports tier customers in Cincinnati on Time Warner Cable channel 315.
Site: Raymond James Stadium (65,857)
Surface: Bermuda Grass
Radio: 700 WLW AM
Live Stats: GoBEARCATS.com
Series Record: Cincinnati leads 7-3
In Tampa: Cincinnati leads 3-2
Last Meeting: 11/23/12 (UC W, 27-10)
Rankings (AP/Coaches): na/na
2013 Record: 0-4
Head Coach: Willie Taggart
Record at USF (Yrs.): 0-4 (1st)
Rankings (AP/Coaches): na/na
2013 Record: 3-1
Head Coach: Tommy Tuberville
Record at UC (Years): 3-1 (1st)
ON THE AIR
- John Sadak/Play-by-Play
- Al Groh/Analyst
- Tiffany Greene/Sideline
RADIO: 700 WLW AM
- Dan Hoard/Play-by-Play
- Jim Kelly Jr./Analyst
- Tom Gelehrter/Sideline
- Mo Egger/Host/Engineer
Football Opens Conference Play On The Road At USF
The University of Cincinnati football team comes out of its first bye week of 2013 with the American Athletic Conference opener at USF on the horizon for Saturday, Oct. 5, 2013 inside Raymond James Stadium.
Marcus Shaw has totaled 525 yards on the ground, an average of 131.2 yards per game, 6.8 yards per carry and 2 TDs. Andre Davis leads the receivers with 14 catches for 191 yards and a TD. Steven Bench earned the starting QB role going into last week’s game against Miami (Fla.). He has thrown for 317 yards and 2 TDs. DeDe Lattimore leads the defense with 32 tackles and an interception.
Saturday marks the 11th time the two schools will meet with UC holding a 7-3 advantage, including a 3-2 margin in games played in Tampa. The Bearcats have won the last two matchups.
Tommy Tuberville, a 17-year head coaching veteran was named the 41st football head coach at the University of Cincinnati on Dec. 8, 2012. Widely regarded as one of the top coaches and recruiters in the collegiate game, comes to Cincinnati after three years at Texas Tech. Tuberville holds a 133-78 career record with head coaching stops at Texas Tech, Auburn and Ole Miss.
WILLIE TAGGART is 0-4 in his first season at the helm of the USF program. The Tampa Bay area native was born in Bradenton, Fla. and is the second-youngest head coach in the NCAA FBS at the age of 37. He played and later coached at Western Kentucky where he was recruited by Jim Harbaugh and coached by Jack Harbaugh. John Harbaugh was a UC assistant from 1989-96.
STREAKS, STORYLINES, SIDEBARS
- The University of Cincinnati football team is playing its 126th season in 2013. The Bearcats’ program dates to 1885 and is one of the 10 oldest in major college football.
- UC won four of the final five BIG EAST Championships and has played in a bowl game in six of the past seven seasons and two straight years.
- UC has won 60 games (60-22) since the 2007 season, most among current American Athletic Conference teams.
- UC is the only school in the country among the BCS AQ Conferences (American, ACC, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-12, SEC) to win four conference titles in the last five years.
- UC is one of only four NCAA FBS AQ programs to have won 10 games in five of the past six seasons, joining Alabama, Oklahoma and Oregon.
- Nippert Stadium now features a new UBU Sports’ Speed Series S5-M synthetic turf system, the same product used at Paul Brown Stadium, Nippert will undergo an $86-million renovation and expansion starting in Dec. 2013. UC will play downtown at PBS in 2014.
- OL Ben Flick, WR Mark Barr and WR Javon Harrison were involved in a car accident on Sept. 21, 2013. Tragically, Flick lost his life and Barr was seriously injured and remains hospitalized at UCMC. Harrison was treated and released.
- QB Munchie Legaux suffered a knee injury against Illinois, had surgery on Sept. 13 and will miss the rest of the year.
- Cincinnati has averaged 479.8 yards of total offense through four games, scoring at a 34.8 points per game clip.
- RBs Ralph David Abernathy IV (67.8 ypg) and Hosey Williams (77.0 ypg) share the workload out of the backfield, combining for 111 of UC’s 176 rushing attempts in 2013.
- Brendon Kay is 46-of-68 for 576 yards and 4 TDs, completing almost 70 percent of his passes (.676).
- WRs Shaq Washington (19 rec.), Max Morrison (11 rec.), Chris Moore (11 rec.) and Anthony McClung (10 rec.) have all posted nearly identical stats on the season.
- LBs Greg Blair (25 tackles), Nick Temple (18 tackles) and Arryn Chenault (18 stops) lead the defense.
- DE Silverberry Mouhon leads the team with 3.5 sacks.