Oct. 7, 2008
Game Notes | Season Statistics | Live Video | Live Stats | Listen
PREVIEWING THE RUTGERS GAME
GAME 4: RUTGERS at CINCINNATI
Saturday, Oct. 11 | Noon EDT | Nippert Stadium (31,000) | Cincinnati, Ohio
Series: Rutgers leads 7-5-1
Last Meeting: UC 28, Rutgers 23 (Oct. 6, 2007 - Rutgers Stadium)
Television: BIG EAST Network: Mike Gleason (PXP), John Congemi (ANA), Quint Kessenich (SL)
Radio: 700 WLW & XM Channel 173: Dan Hoard (PXP), Jim Kelly, Jr. (ANA) Tom Gelehrter (SL), & Mo Egger (Host/ENG)
UC RETURNS HOME TO FACE RUTGERS IN BIG EAST OPENER
The University of Cincinnati football team returns to Nippert Stadium Saturday for a noon matchup against Rutgers in the Bearcats' BIG EAST opener. UC (4-1) enters on a three-game winning streak and will be the last BCS team to begin conference play. Saturday's game, which serves as UC's annual homecoming, will be televised by the BIG EAST Network. The game is available on WKRC Channel 12 in Cincinnati. Rutgers (1-3, 0-1 BIG EAST) dropped its league opener 27-3 at West Virginia on Oct. 3. The Scarlet Knights beat Morgan State 38-0 on Sept. 27 to snap a three-game skid that opened the season.
Cincinnati and Rutgers meet for the 14th time Saturday with Rutgers holding a 7-5-1 advantage. UC holds a 4-1-1 record against the Scarlet Knights at Nippert Stadium and has won the past two meetings and three of the last five.
Brian Kelly, the 2007 BIG EAST Coach of the Year, is in his second full season at the helm of the Cincinnati football program with an 15-4 record and a 18-year career mark of 152-55-2. Kelly led the Bearcats to a school-record-tying 10 wins in 2007 and a victory in the Papajohns.com Bowl. He won two NCAA Division II National Championships at Grand Valley State and led Central Michigan to the 2006 Mid-American Conference Championship. He is the leader in victories among active BIG EAST coaches and is the only current BIG EAST coach with 150 career wins.
Greg Schiano is 39-50 in his eighth season with the Scarlet Knights. He is 1-2 against UC.
STREAKS, STORYLINES, SIDEBARS
- Quarterback Chazz Anderson made his first collegiate start and appearance at Marshall and helped lead UC to a 33-10 win. He was 16-of-26 for 158 yards and two touchdowns. Anderson is the third starting QB for the Bearcats in 2008 and the fourth used this season. Dustin Grutza (right fibula) and Tony Pike (left arm) are both out indefinitely. Zach Collaros stepped in for an injured Pike at Akron and led UC to a 17-14 win.
- The UC defense has produced five sacks in its last two games after recording three in the first three games of the season.
- Wide receiver Dominick Goodman needs one receiving touchdown to tie for UC's all-time lead Jim O'Brien (21).
- Cornerback Mike Mickens snagged his 12th career interception at Marshall to move into a tie for UC's career lead with Blue Adams and Jocelyn Borgella.
- Head coach Brian Kelly earned career win No. 150 against Miami (OH). His 152 victories rank 11th among active NCAA FBS head coaches and he is the active leader in the BIG EAST.
- UC is the last BCS team in the nation to start conference play.