Oct. 20, 2011
The University of Cincinnati football team begins a challenging stretch Saturday, taking on USF at noon inside Raymond James Stadium in the first of four road games over the next five contests. The Bearcats have won four straight and sit at 5-1 (1-0 BIG EAST Conference) on the season, needing one win to gain bowl eligibility after not playing in the postseason a year ago. USF (4-2, 0-2 BIG EAST) has dropped two-straight league road games to Pittsburgh and Connecticut after a 4-0 non-conference start.
- Radio: 700 WLW AM
- Satellite Radio: n/a
- Live Stats: GoBEARCATS.com
- Internet Radio: 700wlw.com
- Twitter: @GoBEARCATS
- Series Record: UC leads 5-3
- Last Meeting: 10/22/10 @ UC (USF W, 38-30)
- In Tampa: Series tied 2-2
- Rankings (AP/Coaches): rv/rv
- 2011 Record: 5-1, 1-0 BIG EAST
- Last Game: Oct. 15, 2011 in Cincinnati, Ohio, UC defeated Louisville 25-16
- Head Coach: Butch Jones
- Record at UC (Years): 9-9 (2nd)
- Career Record (Years): 36-22 (5th)
- vs. USF: 0-1
- Rankings (AP/Coaches): nr/nr
- 2011 Record: 4-2, 0-2 BIG EAST
- Last Game: Oct. 15, 2011 in Storrs, Conn., USF lost to Connecticut 16-10
- Head Coach: Skip Holtz
- Record at School (Years): 12-7 (2nd)
- Career Record (Years): 84-58 (12)
- vs. UC: 1-0
TELEVISION: BIG EAST Network (WKRC Local 12)/ESPN3 | TV AFFILIATES
- Mike Gleason (Play-By-Play)
- John Congemi (Analyst)
- Eamon McAnaney (Sideline)
RADIO: WLW (700 AM)
- Dan Hoard (Play-By-Play)
- Jim Kelly Jr. (Analyst)
- Tom Gelehrter (Sideline)
- Mo Egger (Host/Engineer)
UC Game Notes | USF Game Notes | BIG EAST Notes
Saturday marks the ninth matchup between the Bulls and Bearcats. Prior to last year's 38-30 win by USF at Nippert Stadium, the Bearcats had won four straight in the series. In two games against the Bulls, QB Zach Collaros is 34-of-60 for 535 yards and three touchdowns along with 20 rushes for 159 yards and two touchdowns. In 2010, WR DJ Woods had nine grabs for 137 yards.
Butch Jones is in his second season at the helm of the UC program and is 9-9. Jones most recently led Central Michigan University to a pair of Mid-American Conference Championships and three-straight bowl appearances. He holds a 36-22 overall record and a 22-8 mark in league games.
SKIP HOLTZ is in his second season at USF with a 12-7 record. In 12 years as a collegiate head coach with stops at Connecticut, East Carolina and USF, he holds an 84-58 career mark. He is 1-0 against the Bearcats as a head coach.
STREAKS, STORYLINES, SIDEBARS
- The University of Cincinnati, one of the five oldest football programs in college football, is in its 124th football season with an all-time record of 555-551-51 (.502).
- Head coach Butch Jones is in his second season at the helm of the program, returning 16 starters, including nine on defense.
- UC also brought back the BIG EAST Conference's top retuning passer (Zach Collaros), rusher (Isaiah Pead), tackler (JK Schaffer) and leader in all-purpose yards and receptions (DJ Woods) along with 51 letterwinners from the 2010 squad.
- With its 5-1 record, UC has surpassed its 2010 win total (4).
- UC enters the week leading the BIG EAST in scoring offense (41.7), rushing defense (70.7), punting (39.9) and fewest penalties (36.7) while ranking second in scoring defense (16.5), pass efficiency (143.8), rushing offense (213.7), interceptions (10), kickoff coverage (45.0), field goals (0.8), 3rd-down conversions (46.2), opponent 3rd-down conversions (32.6), 4th-down conversions (50.0) and turnover margin (2.0).
- UC's defense has not allowed an offensive touchdown in nine quarters and its last three opponents are averaging 14 yards rushing per game.
- The Bearcats are +12 overall in turnover margin and are averaging 2.0 tpg which ranks second in the FBS behind Rutgers (2.2).
- UC's 10 interceptions, which surpasses its total number of eight picks in 2010, ranks tied for 11th in the FBS.
- UC has outscored its opponents 141-51 in the first half this season, despite being held to only 13 first-half points in the last two games.
- UC's 27-0 win over Miami was its first shutout since Sept. 2, 2006.
- RB Isaiah Pead was named BIG EAST Offensive POTW after rushing for 151 yards and a TD against UofL. He is averaging a BIG EAST leading 6.8 yards per carry (sixth nationally) and has scored at least one TD in each of UC's six games.
- DT Derek Wolfe had a career-best 11 tackles against UofL and leads the BIG EAST in both sacks (0.8) and tackles for a loss (1.7).
- QB Zach Collaros (5,525) recently became the fifth UC signal caller to crack the 5,000-passing yards plateau.
- LB JK Schaffer leads the defense with 46 tackles, four pass break ups and three interceptions.
- P Pat O'Donnell leads the league in punting, averaging 44.1 yards per kick. He has six punts of 50 or more yards and has dropped 11 inside the 20-yard line.