Oct. 23, 2012
Cincinnati Notes | BIG EAST Notes | Louisville Notes | Watch | Listen
Cincinnati (5-1, 1-0 BIG EAST) at No. 14/16 Louisville (7-0, 2-0 BIG EAST)
Oct. 26, 2012 8 p.m. ET ESPN 700 WLW
Louisville, Ky. Papa John's Cardinal Stadium (55,000)
THE MATCHUP: UC Stats | UofL Stats
Football Travels To Louisville For 52nd Battle For Keg Of Nails
The University of Cincinnati football team, in the midst of playing three of its next four games on the road, will travel to Papa John's Cardinal Stadium to matchup with No. 16/14 Louisville in the 52nd Battle For The Keg Of Nails. The UC vs. UofL rivalry dates to 1929. The winner of Saturday's game gets the Keg of Nails, one of the more unique rivalry trophies with a somewhat vague origin. The trophy is a replica of a keg used to ship nails. The Bearcats (5-1, 1-0 BIG EAST Conference are coming off a 29-23 road loss at Toledo while U of L (7-0, 2-0 BIG EAST) knocked off USF 27-25 Saturday at PJCS. Friday marks the third time in five years the UC-UofL game will take place on a Friday night and be televised by ESPN or ESPN2.
UC leads the all-time series 29-21-1, with the Bearcats taking the last four in-a-row in the series. UC holds a 13-9-1 advantage in games played in Louisville and has a two-game winning streak at Papa John's Cardinal Stadium.
Butch Jones, the 2011 BIG EAST Conference Coach of the Year, is in his third season with the University of Cincinnati program and his sixth as a collegiate head coach with a career record of 46-25. He has won three conference championships (2007, 2009 at Central Michigan, 2011 at Cincinnati).
CHARLIE STRONG is in his third season at Louisville with a 21-12 career record. He was the defensive coordinator on the University of Florida staff which defeated UC in the 2010 Allstate Sugar Bowl. He is 0-2 against the Bearcats as a head coach and has led the Cardinals to bowl games in each of the past two seasons.
ON THE AIR
Carter Blackburn: Play-by-Play
Rod Gilmore: Analyst
Jemele Hill: Sideline
RADIO: 700 WLW AM
Dan Hoard: Play-By-Play
Jim Kelly Jr.: Analyst
Tom Gelehrter: Sideline
Mo Egger: Host/Engineer
STREAKS, STORYLINES, SIDEBARS
- The University of Cincinnati football team, under the direction of third-year head coach Butch Jones is playing its 125th season of football in 2012.
- The Bearcats program dates to 1885 and ranks as one of the 10 oldest in major college football and following a 10-3 campaign in 2011, holds an all-time mark of 561-553-51.
- UC has won three of the past four BIG EAST Championships and has played in a bowl game in five of the past six seasons.
- Jones, the 2011 BIG EAST Conference Coach of the Year, enters his third season with the Bearcats program and his sixth as a collegiate head coach.
- The Bearcats have won 60 games over the last seven years, the most among current members of the Big East.
- UC is one of only five NCAA FBS AQ programs to have won 10 games in four of the past five seasons, joining Alabama, Oklahoma, Oregon and Virginia Tech.
- DL Walter Stewart, who had started 40-straight games for UC, did not play at Toledo due to an upper body injury suffered against Fordham. His return is undetermined.
- Entering the week, Cincinnati leads the BIG EAST Conference in rushing offense (225.7), total offense (467.5), scoring offense (24.7), punt returns (14.5) and sacks (3.0).
- The Bearcats rank No. 2 in the league in pass efficiency defense (111.90), scoring defense (16.8) and sacks allowed (0.8).
- Individually, Tony Miliano leads the league in scoring (8.7) and is tied for the league lead in field goals (1.5).
- Through six games, UC is averaging 6.8 yards per play and 467.5 yards per game, both highs for Butch Jones coached teams. The Bearcats have topped 425 yards of total offense in each of the season's first six games.
- UC has outscored its opponents 48-9 in the first quarter and 75-20 in the first half this season at Nippert Stadium.