Oct. 29, 2012
Cincinnati Notes | BIG EAST Notes | Syracuse Notes | Watch | Listen
Cincinnati (5-2, 1-1 BIG EAST) vs. Syracuse (4-4, 3-1 BIG EAST)
Nov. 3, 2012 • Noon ET • BIG EAST Network • 700 WLW
Cincinnati, Ohio • Nippert Stadium (35,000)
GAMEDAY INFORMATION: UCGameday.com
THE MATCHUP: UC Stats | SU Stats
Football Welcomes Syracuse For Ring of Red Game
The University of Cincinnati football team returns home to historic Nippert Stadium Saturday against Syracuse, breaking up a stretch of playing three of its next four games on the road. The Bearcats have dropped two-straight road games by a combined nine points after a 5-0 start to 2012. The Orange enter Saturday’s game on a two-game streak after a last-second win at USF Saturday. The Orange erased a 20-point halftime deficit and capped a record-setting comeback with Ryan Nassib’s one-yard touchdown pass to Alec Lemon with three seconds left on the clock. After seven-straight late afternoon/night games, UC and SU will kick off at noon in a game televised by the BIG EAST Network (Local 12 WKRC in Cincinnati) and available on 700 WLW.
UC leads the all-time series 7-5, with the Bearcats coming off a 30-13 win at the Carrier Dome a year ago. UC holds a 3-2 advantage in games played in historic Nippert Stadium. With the Orange’s move to the Atlantic Coast Conference in 2013, this is the last scheduled meeting between the two teams for the foreseeable future.
Butch Jones, the 2011 BIG EAST Conference Coach of the Year, is in his third season with the University of Cincinnati program and his sixth as a collegiate head coach with a career record of 46-26. He has won three conference championships (2007, 2009 at Central Michigan, 2011 at Cincinnati).
DOUG MARRONE is in his third season at Syracuse with a 21-24 school and career record. The 1991 Syracuse grad took the Orange to the Pinstripe Bowl in his first season heading the program. He is 1-1 against the Bearcats.
ON THE AIR
TELEVISION: BIG EAST NETWORK
Eamon McEneaney: Play-by-Play
David Diaz-Infante: Analyst
Paul Carcaterra: Sideline
RADIO: 700 WLW AM
Dan Hoard: Play-By-Play
Jim Kelly Jr.: Analyst
Tom Gelehrter: Sideline
Mo Egger: Host/Engineer
STREAKS, STORYLINES, SIDEBARS
- The University of Cincinnati football team, under the direction of third-year head coach Butch Jones is playing its 125th season of football in 2012.
- The Bearcats program dates to 1885 and ranks as one of the 10 oldest in major college football and following a 10-3 campaign in 2011, holds an all-time mark of 561-553-51.
- UC has won three of the past four BIG EAST Championships and has played in a bowl game in five of the past six seasons.
- Jones, the 2011 BIG EAST Conference Coach of the Year, enters his third season with the Bearcats program and his sixth as a collegiate head coach.
- The Bearcats have won 60 games over the last seven years, the most among current members of the Big East.
- UC is one of only five NCAA FBS AQ programs to have won 10 games in four of the past five seasons, joining Alabama, Oklahoma, Oregon and Virginia Tech.
- DL Walter Stewart, who had started 40-straight games for UC, has missed the last two games due to an upper body injury suffered against Fordham. His return is undetermined.
- Entering the week, Cincinnati leads the BIG EAST Conference in scoring offense (34.1), rushing offense (221.4), punt return average (14.5), fewest sacks allowed (0.7) and sacks (3.1).
- Ralph David Abernathy IV has 81 touches this season, averaging 145.1 yards per game and 12.5 yards per touch.
- UC has three student-athletes, Abernathy, Munchie Legaux and George Winn averaging 6.0 yards per carry, led by Winn’s 104.6 yards per game.
- LB Greg Blair had 34 tackles in the past two games and ranks second in the BIG EAST Conference (10.4)
- UC will wear red uniforms Saturday to mark the Bearcats annual Ring of Red game. Fans are encouraged to come early, be loud and wear red.