Nov. 3, 2011
The University of Cincinnati football team is back on the road Saturday, taking on Pittsburgh at Heinz Field. The Bearcats, winners of five in-a-row, sit atop the BIG EAST Conference standings at 6-1 (2-0). UC is in the midst of a span that has them playing four of five games on the road. Pittsburgh (4-4, 2-1 BIG EAST) knocked off Connecticut inside Heinz Field, 35-20, on Oct. 26, 2011. The teams will play for the River City Rivalry Trophy, a 46-inch tall, 96-lb replica of a riverboat telegraph - a device for signaling the engine room - and a silhouette of the Ohio River.
- Radio: 700 WLW AM
- Satellite Radio: n/a
- Live Stats: GoBEARCATS.com
- Internet Radio: 700wlw.com
- Twitter: @GoBEARCATS
- Series Record: Pittsburgh leads 8-2
- Last Meeting: 12/4/10 @ UC (Pitt W, 28-10)
- In Pittsburgh: Pittsburgh leads 5-2
- Rankings (AP/Coaches): 23/22
- 2011 Record: 6-1, 2-0 BIG EAST
- Last Game: Oct. 22, 2011 in Tampa, Fla., UC defeated USF 37-34
- Head Coach: Butch Jones
- Record at UC (Years): 10-9 (2nd)
- Career Record (Years): 37-22 (5th)
- vs. Pittsburgh: 0-1
- Rankings (AP/Coaches): nr/nr
- 2011 Record: 4-4, 2-1 BIG EASt
- Last Game: Oct. 26, 2011 in Pittsburgh, Pa., Pittsburgh defeated Connecticut 35-20
- Head Coach: Todd Graham
- Record at School (Years): 4-4 (1st)
- Career Record (Years): 47-27 (6)
- vs. UC: First Meeting
- Rob Stone (Play-By-Play)
- Danny Kanell (Analyst)
RADIO: WLW (700 AM)
- Dan Hoard (Play-By-Play)
- Jim Kelly Jr. (Analyst)
- Tom Gelehrter (Sideline)
- Mo Egger (Host/Engineer)
UC Game Notes | Pittsburgh Game Notes | BIG EAST Notes
- Saturday marks the 11th matchup between the Panthers and Bearcats. Prior to last year's 28-10 win by Pittsburgh in the snow at Nippert Stadium on Dec. 4, 2010, the Bearcats had won two straight in the series.
- Butch Jones is in his second season at the helm of the UC program and is 10-9. Jones most recently led Central Michigan University to a pair of Mid-American Conference Championships and three-straight bowl appearances. He holds a 37-22 overall record and a 24-8 mark in league games.
- TODD GRAHAM is in his first season at Pittsburgh with a 4-4 record. In six years as a collegiate head coach with stops at Tulsa and Rice, he holds an 47-27 career mark. This is his first matchup against the Bearcats as a head coach.
STREAKS, STORYLINES, SIDEBARS
- The University of Cincinnati, one of the five oldest football programs in college football, is in its 124th football season with an all-time record of 557-551-51 (.502).
- Head coach Butch Jones is in his second season at the helm of the program, returning 16 starters, including nine on defense.
- UC also brought back the BIG EAST Conference's top retuning passer (Zach Collaros), rusher (Isaiah Pead), tackler (JK Schaffer) and leader in all-purpose yards and receptions (DJ Woods) along with 51 letterwinners from the 2010 squad.
- With its 6-1 record, UC has surpassed its 2010 win total (4) and is bowl eligible after not playing in the postseason a year ago.
- UC is atop the BIG EAST standings with a 2-0 league mark. The Bearcats control their own destiny in the conference standings.
- UC sits at No. 22 in the USA Today Coaches Poll and No. 23 in the Associated Press Top-25, its first time being ranked since 2009.
- UC is one of three teams nationally (Michigan, Wisconsin) whose football and men's basketball teams both appear in the polls.
- Entering the week, UC leads the BIG EAST Conference in rushing offense (200.0), scoring offense (41.0), rushing defense (72.7), net punting (39.7) and turnover margin (1.9).
- The Bearcats are +13 overall in turnover margin and are averaging 1.9 tpg which leads the BIG EAST and ranks third in the FBS.
- UC has outscored its opponents 154-61 in the first half this season, despite being held to 23 first-half points in the last three games.
- UC's 27-0 win over Miami was its first shutout since Sept. 2, 2006.
- P Pat O'Donnell leads the BIG EAST and ranks No. 9 nationally with his 45.5 net punting average.
- DT Derek Wolfe leads the league in tackles for a loss (1.4) and ranks second in sacks (0.7). Wolfe has a team-high 5.0 sacks and 10 TFLs
- RB Isaiah Pead's 6.2 yards per carry average leads the BIG EAST.
- QB Zach Collaros was named the BIG EAST Offensive POTW a week ago after accounting for 410 yards of total offense and five touchdowns in a 37-34 win at USF.
- WR Kenbrell Thompkins had six catches for 114 yards at USF, his first career 100-yard game.
- LB JK Schaffer leads the defense with 54 tackles, 6.0 TFL, four pass break ups, three interceptions and two sacks.
- DB Deven Drane shares the team INT lead with Schaffer at three.
- DB Dominique Battle will miss the rest of the season after suffering a knee injury at USF.