Nov. 15, 2012
Cincinnati Notes | BIG EAST Notes | Rutgers Notes | Watch | Listen
Cincinnati (7-2, 3-1 BIG EAST) vs. No. 22/20 Rutgers (8-1, 4-0 BIG EAST)
Nov. 17, 2012 Noon ET BIG EAST Network 700 WLW
Cincinnati, Ohio Nippert Stadium (35,000)
THE MATCHUP: UC Stats | Rutgers Stats
Football Squares Off With No. 22/20 Rutgers at Nippert Stadium Saturday
The University of Cincinnati football team starts a two-game homestand at historic Nippert Stadium Saturday against No. 22/20 Rutgers. The Bearcats (7-2, 3-1 BIG EAST Conference) has won two straight games over Syracuse and at Temple while Rutgers (8-1, 4-0 BIG EAST) rebounded with a win last weekend over Army after a loss at Kent State snapped its 7-0 start to the season. The Scarlet Knights lead the BIG EAST with UC sitting in third behind Louisville (9-1, 4-1 BIG EAST). After seven-straight late afternoon/night games, UC plays its third straight noon kickoff Saturday in a game televised by the BIG EAST Network (Local 12 WKRC in Cincinnati) and available on the Watch ESPN app, ESPN3 and 700 WLW.
Saturday marks the 18th meeting between two of the oldest programs in college football. Rutgers started playing football in 1869 and the Bearcats played their first contest in 1885. The all-time series dates to 1980 and is tied at eight wins apiece with one tie. Rutgers' 20-3 win over UC in Piscataway, N.J. snapped a five-game winning streak for the Bearcats.
Butch Jones, the 2011 BIG EAST Conference Coach of the Year, is in his third season with the University of Cincinnati program and his sixth as a collegiate head coach with a career record of 48-26. He has won three conference championships (2007, 2009 at Central Michigan, 2011 at Cincinnati).
KYLE FLOOD is in his first season as the head coach at Rutgers, but has served with the Scarlet Knights since 2005, coaching the offensive line and holding the assistant head coach title from 2008-11.
ON THE AIR
TELEVISION: BIG EAST NETWORK
Eamon McEneaney: Play-by-Play
David Diaz-Infante: Analyst
Paul Carcaterra: Sideline
RADIO: 700 WLW AM
Dan Hoard: Play-By-Play
Jim Kelly Jr.: Analyst
Tom Gelehrter: Sideline
Mo Egger: Host/Engineer
STREAKS, STORYLINES, SIDEBARDS
- The University of Cincinnati football team, under the direction of third-year head coach Butch Jones is playing its 125th season of football in 2012.
- The Bearcats program dates to 1885 and ranks as one of the 10 oldest in major college football and following a 10-3 campaign in 2011, holds an all-time mark of 568-555-51.
- UC has won three of the past four BIG EAST Championships and has played in a bowl game in five of the past six seasons.
- Jones, the 2011 BIG EAST Conference Coach of the Year, enters his third season with the Bearcats program and his sixth as a collegiate head coach.
- The Bearcats have won 62 games over the last seven years, the most among current members of the Big East.
- UC is one of only five NCAA FBS AQ programs to have won 10 games in four of the past five seasons, joining Alabama, Oklahoma, Oregon and Virginia Tech.
- DL Walter Stewart, who had started 40-straight games for UC, has missed the last three games due to an upper body injury suffered against Fordham. His return is undetermined.
- UC has won its last nine games at Nippert Stadium dating back to the 2011 season opener against Austin Peay.
- UC became bowl-eligible for the sixth time in the last seven years with the win at Temple.
- UC has scored at least one rushing touchdown in every game this season.
- UC did not record a sack against Temple, ending a streak of 19 consecutive games with at least one sack.
- UC has registered at least 425 yards of offense in eight of its nine games this year.
- RB George Winn leads the BIG EAST in rushing, averaging 108.9 yards per game. He has 980 rushing yards and needs 20 yards on the ground to eclipse the 1,000-yard barrier.