Nov. 29, 2012
Cincinnati Notes | BIG EAST Notes | Connecticut Notes | Watch (ESPN3*) | Listen
* - ESPN3 will act as a reverse mirror for ABC (View Coverage Map)
Cincinnati (8-3, 4-2 BIG EAST) at Connecticut (5-6, 2-4 BIG EAST)
Dec. 1, 2012 • 3:30 p.m. ET • ABC • 700 WLW
E. Hartford, Conn. • Rentschler Field (40,000)
THE MATCHUPS: UC Stats | UConn Stats
Football At Connecticut For Regular-Season Finale Saturday
The University of Cincinnati football team closes out the 2012 regular season on Saturday, traveling to East Hartford, Conn. to take on the Connecticut Huskies at Rentschler Field at 3:30 p.m. ET. The game will be televised nationally by ABC.
Heading into the final weekend of the season, UC still has a shot at winning a share of its second-straight BIG EAST Championship and fourth in five years. If Louisville beats Rutgers Thursday and Cincinnati beats Connecticut Saturday, there would be a four-way tie for the BIG EAST title between UC, UofL, RU and Syracuse at 5-2. There is no scenario where UC could earn the league’s BCS bid. RU has clinched a share of the regular-season title and wins the league outright with a win over UofL on Thursday.
Saturday marks the ninth game in the all-time series between the two squads with UC holding a 6-2 advantage. Connecticut leads 2-1 in games played at Rentschler Field. UC won the first four games in the series and has won two of the past three. The Bearcats last win in E. Hartford came in 2006 by a 26-23 margin.
Butch Jones, the 2011 BIG EAST Conference Coach of the Year, is in his third season with the University of Cincinnati program and his sixth as a collegiate head coach with a career record of 48-27. He has won three conference championships (2007, 2009 at Central Michigan, 2011 at Cincinnati).
PAUL PASQUALONI is in his second season at Connecticut and 22nd as a college head coach. He was the head coach at Syracuse from 1991-2004 and is the all-time winningest coach in BIG EAST history in league wins with 66 and overall wins with 114.
ON THE AIR
Bob Wischusen: Play-by-Play
Danny Kannell: Analyst
Maria Taylor: Sideline
RADIO: 700 WLW AM
Tom Gelehrter: Play-By-Play
Jim Kelly Jr.: Analyst
Artrell Hawkins: Sideline
Mo Egger: Host/Engineer
STREAKS, STORYLINES, SIDEBARDS
- The University of Cincinnati football team, under the direction of head coach Butch Jones is playing its 125th season of football in 2012. The program dates to 1885 and ranks as one of the 10 oldest in major college football and following a 10-3 campaign in 2011, holds an all-time mark of 569-556-51.
- UC has won three of the past four BIG EAST Championships and has played in a bowl game in five of the past six seasons.
- Jones, the 2011 BIG EAST Coach of the Year, is in his third season with UC and his sixth as a collegiate head coach.
- The Bearcats have won 63 games over the last seven years, the most among current members of the Big East.
- UC is one of only five NCAA FBS AQ programs to have won 10 games in four of the past five seasons, joining Alabama, Oklahoma, Oregon and Virginia Tech.
- UC is bowl-eligible for the sixth time in the last seven years.
- UC has registered at least 425 yards of total offense in eight of its 11 games this year.
- DL Walter Stewart, who had started 40-straight games for UC, will not play again for the Bearcats after suffering an upper-body injury in the Fordham game.
- RB George Winn has 1,134 rushing yards in 2012, the 10th-best single-season effort in UC history and the 15th time for a 1,000-yard rusher. He is second in the BIG EAST averaging 103.1 yards per game.
- LB Greg Blair has 115 tackles on the season, the fourth-straight year a UC defender has tallied 100 or more stops. Blair will return to UC in 2013 after the NCAA granted him a medical hardship for the 2011 season.