Sept. 20, 2013
For complete Cincinnati game notes, click here.
Coming To America
- Saturday night's match marks the first University of Cincinnati competition in any sport against an American Athletic Conference opponent.
- It will be the first of eight matches in AAC play, with all nine men's soccer members playing each other once during the season.
- Cincinnati and Memphis will be meeting for the 23rd time on Saturday, but for the first time since 2004
- The teams met at least once annually from 1988-2004 before the Bearcats joined the BIG EAST, the predecessor to The American.
- Overall, UC leads the series, 12-10-0, including a 5-4-0 advantage at Gettler Stadium
- UC Head Coach Hylton Dayes holds a 3-1 series lead over Memphis Head Coach Richie Grant, with the Bearcats taking wins in 2001, `02 and `03 before the Tigers took the last meeting, a 2-0 decision at Gettler in `04.
Walker Heating Up
- Ashani Walker (Kingston, Jamaica/Jamaica College) has been instramental in the Bearcats' three-game unbeaten streak, scoring a goal in each of the three matches.
- The junior scored the second goal of the match in the 14th minute of a 2-0 win over Evansville on a give-and-go with classmate Will Diebold (Coppell, Texas/Jesuit College Prep).
- He netted the gamewinner on a penalty kick in overtime at SIU Edwardsville.
- The Jamaican scored the lone Bearcat goal in a 1-1 draw with Northern Kentucky, bending in a free kick off the post from just outside the box.