Women's Basketball |
Feb. 5, 2013
Recap | Box Score | Quotes
UNIVERSITY OF CINCINNATI WOMEN'S BASKETBALL POSTGAME NOTES
24/22SYRACUSE 72 (19-3, 7-2 BIG EAST), CINCINNATI 48 (8-14, 0-9 BIG EAST)
FEBRUARY 5, 2013 // FIFTH THIRD ARENA // CINCINNATI, OHIO
- Syracuse's win over Cincinnati tied the overall series at 5-5. Success of the road team in the series continued as the home team has now lost five straight.
- Prior to tonight's contest each of the last four meetings were decided by four points or less.
- UC Starters: Shelbi Chandler (f), Kayla Cook (g), Alyesha Lovett (g), Chelsea Jamison (g), Dayeesha Hollins (g).
- Syracuse used a 9-2 run that spanned 1:50 to take a 15-6 lead early in the first half.
- Cincinnati took its first lead of the game at 25-23 after a 9-0 run that spanned 2:41. Four different Bearcats scored during the spurt.
- The Orange closed out the game by out-scoring UC 13-3 over the last 6:47 of the contest.
- Syracuse, who entered the contest with a rebounding margin over eight, were beaten on the boards by one, 33-32. Overall Syracuse was kept 12 rebounds below their season average (45.3).
- Syracuse's 72 points are the third-most given up by UC this season.
- Syracuse turned Cincinnati's 17 turnovers into 24 points, giving the Orange a 24-13 edge in that category.
- The Orange held a 32-22 edge in points in the paint.
- Freshman forward Shelbi Chandler made her first career start.
- Dayeesha Hollins led Cincinnati with 13 points. The junior guard has reached double digits in 17 of 20 games played this season and 65 times during her career.
- Alyesha Lovett dished out at least three assists for the third straight game. She added eight points and tied for a team-high four rebounds.
- Over the last six games, Lovett is averaging 9.4 points, 3.4 rebounds and 2.1 steals per game.
- Jasmine Whitfield went 2-for-2 from behind the arc, tying her career-high in scoring with six points.