Bearcats Begin BIG EAST Conference Championship Play Friday Against Marquette|
March 1, 2012
CINCINNATI - The University of Cincinnati women's basketball team (15-14, 6-10 BIG EAST) begins its 2012 BIG EAST Conference Championship run when it plays 14-seed Marquette (13-16, 4-12 BIG EAST) on Friday, March 2 at 8 p.m. at the XL Center in Hartford, Conn. UC is seeded No. 11, which ties for its highest seeding in the BIG EAST Championship. It was also the 11-seed in the 2006 and 2007 tournaments.
The game will be streamed live on BIGEAST.tv and can also be heard live on GoBEARCATS.com with Tom Gelehrter calling the action.
Streaks, Storylines & Sidebars
- UC was picked to finish 15th in the league in the preseason poll, but finished the regular season tied for 10th.
- The Bearcats recorded four conference road wins this season, which is its most since becoming a BIG EAST member.
- UC's 15 wins this season is the most it has recorded in the Jamelle Elliott Era. The 15 victories ties its win total from the 2006-07 season, when it went 15-14.
- UC is guaranteed to finish with at least a 500 record for the first time since 2006-07, when it finished 15-14.
- With a win against Marquette, Cincinnati will have its most wins since 2005-06 when it joined the league. It finished 17-12 overall and 7-10 in the BIG EAST that season.
- Cincinnati has recorded 99 blocks this season, which ranks first on the all-time single season list. The previous record was 96 blocks in the 1983-84 season.
Last Time Out
The University of Cincinnati women's basketball team was defeated by No. 18 DePaul (21-9, 9-7), 73-51, on Feb. 27 at McGrath-Phillips Arena. Sophomore forward Jeanise Randolph set a season-high with 14 points and paced three scorers in double-figures. Joining Randolph was Dayeesha Hollins with 13 points, followed by Bjonee Reaves with 12.
The Bearcats struggled to contain DePaul leading scorer Anna Martin, who shot 15-of-19 from the floor en route to 36 points. The hosts built the margin up to nine, 29-20, before ending the half with a 29-22 lead. UC went on a 7-0 in the first two minutes of the second half to knot it at 29, but the Blue Demons shot a daunting 70.8 percent (17-24) in the second half - the highest shooting percentage UC has faced all season - to build its advantage to as much as 25.
Bearcats Against The Golden Eagles
In the first meeting this season, sophomore guard Dayeesha Hollins led the Bearcats to a 64-52 victory against Marquette on Wednesday, Feb. 1 at the Al McGuire Center. Hollins scored 22 points for her fourth 20-plus point game of the season. Bjonee Reaves scored 18 points as she and Hollins combined for more than half of the team's points.
In the second meeting, UC continued its historic season when it defeated Marquette, 60-46, on Tuesday, Feb. 21 at Fifth Third Arena. With the victory, UC recorded its most BIG EAST Conference wins since the 2006-07 season, when it won six. Marquette's 46 points were the lowest UC has held a conference opponent to this season.