Nov. 29, 2013
Saturday, Nov. 30 | 6:30 p.m. ET
THE GAME: The University of Cincinnati will begin action at the Lady Rebel Roundup hosted by UNLV Saturday, November 30, facing off with former Conference USA opponent Charlotte. The other tournament game Saturday features UNLV and Fordham. Winners from each will advance to the championship contest.
THE SERIES: This is the first meeting between UC and Charlotte since the 2004-05 season. Prior to that, the two squads had played every season since 1996 as members of Conference USA.
LAST TIME OUT:
- Big runs doomed UC against nationally-ranked Iowa State as the Bearcats fell 78-42 against the Cyclones.
- Iowa State used runs of 15-0 and 9-0 during the second half.
- The Bearcats were held to their lowest shooting percentage of the season at 29.6 percent.
- UC went 6-of-10 from the free throw line while Iowa State connected on 14-of-16 attempts from the charity stripe.
- Alexis Durley went 2-of-2 from the free throw line, making it 18 straight makes from the charity stripe. The sophomore hasn't missed from the free throw line in just under five halves.
- The Bearcats were stifled by an 18.5 percent shooting percentage during the second half, making just five buckets. It was the lowest of the season for UC.
- Alexis Durley set a career-high in three-pointers made with two.
- Iowa State was lead by Christofferson who totaled 25 points and seven rebounds.
SCOUTING THE CYCLONES:
- The 49ers ride a two-game winning streak into Saturday's contest with UC, improving their record to 3-3 overall.
- The Charlotte offense features six players averaging at least 7.0 points per game. Kira Gordon (10.5) and Ny Hammonds (10.3) are each of the 49ers double-digit scorers.
- Four different players hold averages of at least 5.0 rebounds per contest, topped by sophomore Alexis Alexander's 6.7 average. Redshirt junior Gabby Tyler (6.0 rpg), Gordon (5.7) and Hammonds (5.3) are also above the threshold.
- The Niners are one of 12 programs nationally and the lone non-BCS school on the list to reach the postseason in each of the last 11 years.
- The 49ers posted a 13-1 record in Atlantic 10 conference last season. Charlotte returns to competing in Conference USA this season. They competed in the conference from 1995-96 to 2004-05.
- Through the first three games of the season, the Bearcats bench is averaging 24 points per game. The pace more than doubles the 11.3 ppg the bench averaged during last season. In three of four games this season, UC's leading scorer has come off the bench.
- Sophomore Alexis Durley set a new school record for free-throw percentage, going 14-of-14 against Kent State on November 17, 2013. The previous best performances was 12-of-12 by Cheryl Cook on Nov. 22, 1983. She also had a career high 18 points in the game.
- Freshman Marley Hill started her UC career off on a strong note, tallying a team-high 16 points and six rebounds during her collegiate debut against Northern Kentucky. The freshman saw 25 minutes of action after Jeanise Randolph faced foul trouble early in the contest.
- Cincinnati was selected to finish seventh in the inaugural season of the American Athletic Conference. Senior Dayeesha Hollins was a preseason All-Conference selection.
- Eight of nine letterwinners will return for the Bearcats this season, losing just one starter in center Lesha Dunn. The former Bearcat contributed 7.2 points and 5.0 rebounds per game last season.
- The Bearcats return 85.7 percent of their points and 84.8 percent of their rebounds from 2012-13.