Dec. 13, 2013
Sunday, Dec. 15 | 2 p.m.
THE GAME: The University of Cincinnati women's basketball team returns home to host the Ohio State Buckeyes Sunday, December 15. The game will be televised live on Fox Sports Ohio.
THE SERIES: The Buckeyes hold a 16-3 overall edge in the series against Cincinnati. The series renewed last season after a 12-year break with the Buckeyes recording an 87-49 win in Columbus. UC's last win over Ohio State came on Dec. 10, 1988 at home. It was also the last time Ohio State played at Cincinnati.
PROMOTIONS: All fans attending Sunday's game are encouraged to wear black. The first 500 fans will also receive a black Cincinnati Rally Towel. There will also be a postgame autograph session with complimentary posters and trading cards.
LAST TIME OUT:
- The Bearcats picked up an 83-62 win over Youngstown State Sunday afternoon.
- Cincinnati found themselves trailing early as YSU raced out to a 13-4 lead after hitting 5 of their first six shots, two of which came from three-point range.
- UC regrouped and put together a 21-6 run that turned a seven-point deficit into a five-point lead.
- UC got hot from the floor during the spurt, going 8-of-9 from the floor.
- During the span, UC's defense forced four turnovers and allowed Youngstown State to shoot just 3-of-8 from the floor.
- Cincinnati also added a 13-0 run to start the second half, pushing their lead to 20-points in just under a three minute span.
- For the third time in four games, UC recorded a season-high in points with 83 against the Penguins. Previously, UC had scored 71 points against Charlotte and 75 against Morehead State.
- The 83 points are the second-most scored by UC under head coach Jamelle Elliott.
- Overall UC shot 52.4 percent in the contest compared to 42.0 percent for the Penguins.
- Cincinnati held a 35-26 edge in rebounding while scoring 40 points in the paint.
- Cincinnati recorded 22 assists, a season-best mark.
- Youngstown State did not record a steal.
- Quisenberry flirted with a triple-double, recording 21 points, nine rebounds and nine assists.
- A total of five Bearcats reached double digits in scoring with Jeanise Randolph adding 17, Alyesha Lovett pouring in 14, Dayeesha Hollins adding 12 and Marley Hill scoring 10.
- Shelby Chandler added a career-best seven points and six rebounds in her second start of the season.
- All 17 of Jeanise Randolph's 17 points came in the second half as the senior went 8-of-10 from the floor in the final 20 minutes.
- The road win is the first of the season for UC in two tries. UC also has a neutral site win over Charlotte this season.
SCOUTING THE BUCKEYES:
- The Ohio State Buckeyes enter the contest with a 6-5 overall record and a 1-2 mark in road contests.
- Ohio State is currently riding a three-game losing streak with all three losses coming against ranked opponents. Overall this season Ohio State has played four ranked opponents, all losses.
- OSU most recently lost to #24 Gonzaga on a last-second shot.
- The Buckeyes will take on Army on Friday night before traveling to Cincinnati to face off with UC.
- Ohio State is under the direction of first-year head coach Kevin McGuff, who coached crosstown rival Xavier from 2002-2011.
- Ohio State is lead in scoring by Ameryst Alston, who paces 18 points per game. Two other Buckeyes pace double digits with Cait Craft averaging 10.2 and Darryce Moore at 10.0.
- Darryce Moore is OSU's leading rebounder at 7.3 per contest.
- The Buckeyes are limiting opponents to 37.1 percent shooting, having not allowed an opponent to shoot better than 50 percent.
- Senior Dayeesha Hollins is just 24 points away from becoming the 25th player in UC history to record 1,000 points at Cincinnati. She would become just the third player in UC history to record 1,000 points in just a three-year career as she played her freshman season at Michigan.
- UC enters the game against Ohio State having recorded season-high scoring efforts in three of the last four games. The Bearcats recorded 71 points against Charlotte, 75 against Morehead State and 83 against Youngstown State.
- Bianca Quisenberry was named American Rookie of the week on Dec. 9, 2013 after nearly recording a triple-double against Youngstown State. The true freshman had 21 points, nine rebounds and nine assists against the Penguins. It was the first freshman award for UC since Kayla Cook garnered the honor on March 1, 2009.
- Cincinnati currently ranks 30th nationally in free throw percentage at 76.4 percent and 46th in scoring defense allowing just 61.2 points per game. The free throw percentage ranks first in the conference.
- Alexis Durley currently leads the conference and ranks 24th nationally in free throw percentage at 91.7 percent. Earlier this season the sophomore put together a streak of 21-straight makes from the charity stripe over the course of five games.
- The Bearcats offensive attack set several season highs during a 75-44 win over Morehead State. The 47 points scored in the first half, tie the most for UC under Elliott since her debut game as the head coach when UC scored 47 in the opening half against Furman. The game shooting percentage (51.0), three-pointers made (6), total points (75) and assists (19) were also season bests.
- Senior Jeanise Randolph earned the first conference honor roll accolade of her career following her performance at the UNLV Lady Rebel Round-Up. Randolph averaged 14 points and 8.5 rebounds during the two-game event. Randolph recorded her second double-double of the season with 20 pts and 11 rbds against Charlotte.