Dec. 20, 2013
Saturday, Dec. 21 | 2 p.m.
THE GAME: The University of Cincinnati women’s basketball team will face a third-straight opponent from the state of Ohio when they make the short trip across town to face rival Xavier.
THE SERIES: Cincinnati leads the all-time series 22-13 but Xavier has picked up wins in the last four meetings, including a double-overtime victory last season at Fifth Third Arena. The Musketeers have scored 69 points in each of their last four wins.
LAST TIME OUT:
- Cincinnati picked up an 86-70 win over Akron on Tuesday night behind 20-point scoring efforts from Jeanise Randolph and Dayeesha Hollins.
- Cincinnati opened the game on a 19-3 run over the span of 3:52. The Bearcats opened the game connecting on seven of their first eight shots, including a pair of threes from Alyesha Lovett and one from Kayla Cook.
- Akron opened the game 1-for-7; they’re only make during the UC run coming from behind the three-point line.
- Akron answered in the first half with runs of 9-0 and 7-0, cutting the UC lead in the first half to as few as six points. UC took a 36-30 lead into the locker room at the break.
- Akron closed the lead to one-point after opening the second half on a 5-0 run. However, UC answered right back with a 9-0 run to push the lead back to double digits, 47-37 at the 16:21 mark of the second half.
- The 86 points scored against Akron are the most by a UC team under head coach Jamelle Elliott.
- Cincinnati outrebounded Akron 37-26 to mark the fifth time this season the Bearcats have had at least a plus-nine edge on the boards.
- UC was 19-of-24 from the free throw line, marking the sixth time this season the Bearcats have totaled 17 points from the charity stripe.
- Dayeesha Hollins became the 25th player in program history to record 1,000 points at UC with a basket at the 3:30 mark of the first half. Hollins now has 1,438 points in her collegiate career after totaling 420 during her freshman season at Michigan.
- Jeanise Randolph recorded her fourth double-double of the season with a career-high 25 points and a season-high 12 rebounds.
- Alyesha Lovett reached double-digit points for the third-straight game with 14 points that included 2-of-5 shooting from behind the arc.
- Jeanise Randolph recorded three blocks in the contest to total 59 in her career. She is just three shy of tying current teammate Tiffany Turner for sixth on Cincinnati’s all-time blocks list.
- Hollins reached double-digits in scoring for the eighth time this season and 81st of her career.
SCOUTING THE MUSKETEERS:
- Xavier holds a 5-5 record entering Saturday’s contest, most recently dropping a 79-54 decision to Wright State on Dec. 15.
- Xavier picked up a pair of big wins early in the season defeating both Michigan (79-75) in overtime and Kansas (64-59).
- Xavier enters the contest scoring 67.6 points per game while allowing an average of 70.7.
- The Musketeers are shooting 38.4 percent this season while opponents fire at a 44.0 percent clip.
- Xavier is led by a trio of double-digit scorers in Shatyra Hawkes (16.0), Ashley Wanninger (13.2) and Aliyah Zantt (11.8).
- Jenna Crittendon leads Xavier in rebounding at 7.4 per game while Leah Schaefer grabs an average of 6.9 per game.
- Senior Dayeesha Hollins scored the 1,000th point of her UC career during the first half of the game against Akron. She accomplished the feat in two seasons and 10 games after playing her freshman season at Michigan. She is now the 25th member of the 1,000-point club.
- Saturday’s match-up with Akron will be the fourth straight in-state opponent for the Bearcats after taking on Youngstown State, Ohio State and Akron. Overall this season, UC is 4-0 against the state of Ohio also picking up a win over Kent State.
- UC set a new scoring record under head coach Jamelle Elliott after totaling 86 points during the win over Akron. The mark eclipsed the previous best of 85 against Furman during Elliott’s first game at UC.
- The Bearcats are on a streak of avenging losses having defeated both Ohio State and Akron. Each of those teams handed UC losses last season. A win over Xavier would also avenge a loss after the Musketeers won last season’s match-up 69-67 in double overtime.
- Bianca Quisenberry was named American Rookie of the week on Dec. 9, 2013 after nearly recording a triple-double against Youngstown State. The true freshman had 21 points, 9 rebounds and 9 assists against the Penguins. It was the first freshman award for UC since Kayla Cook garnered the honor on March 1, 2009.
- Cincinnati currently ranks 15th nationally in free throw percentage at 77.0 percent and 59th in scoring defense allowing just 59.9 points per game. The free throw percentage ranks first in the conference.
- Alexis Durley currently ranks fifth in the conference and ranks 37th nationally in free throw percentage at 82.4 percent. Earlier this season the sophomore put together a streak of 21-straight makes from the charity stripe over the course of five games.
- The Bearcats first-half offensive against Morehead State set season highs in both points scored (47) and field goal percentage (56.0%). The 47 points scored in the first half, tie the most for UC under Elliott since her debut game as the head coach when UC scored 47 in the opening half against Furman.
- Senior Jeanise Randolph earned the first weekly conference award for the Bearcats since the 2007-08 season when she was named American Player of the Week on Dec. 16, 2013. The senior recorded a double-double with 15 points and 11 rebounds during a 64-49 win over Ohio State. Randolph was also named to the honor roll once this season (Dec. 9, 2013).