Feb. 11, 2014
Gametracker | Game Notes | BearcatsTV Preview
Five Things You Need To Know
- The University of Cincinnati lacrosse team opens its seventh season of varsity lacrosse on Wednesday, February 12, at No. 11 Notre Dame. The draw is set for 5:00 p.m. at Notre Dame's Loftus Center. Head coach Gina Oliver begins her second season at the helm of the UC program after leading UC to the program's best winning percentage and first-ever BIG EAST Conference win in her debut season.
- The Bearcats return three of the top-four goal scorers from 2013, as well as the team leader in assits. Senior Megan Bell (Parkton, Md./Hereford) leads the way, having found the back of the net 29 times last year, while adding three assists. Classmate Taylor Young (Cincinnati, Ohio/Sycamore) was second on the team with 26 goals (plus four assists), while sophomore Courtney Curtis (Mason, Ohio/William Mason) added 17 goals and six assists. Junior Ashley Helmrath (Ellicott City, Md./Maryvale Preparatory) added a team-best 10 assists, while adding seven goals of her own.
- Sophomore Meg Gulmi (Syosset, N.Y./Syosset) returns in the cage after starting all 16 games a year ago. She posted a 7-9 record and averaged 8.88 saves per game. Look for junior defender Jillian Magnotta (Timonium, Md./Dulaney) to help anchor the defense in front of Gulmi after starting all 16 games last season and posting 19 ground balls and six caused turnovers. Senior midfielder and co-captain (along with Bell) Kelsey Conway also started all 16 games last year, picking-up 27 ground balls while adding 10 caused turnovers.
- No. 11 Notre Dame is also playing its season opener, fresh off a 12-5 campaign that saw the Irish reach the NCAA Tournament. Head coach Christine Halfpenny's team is led by Preseason All-ACC defender Barbara Sullivan, who was second in the nation with 3.35 ground balls per game last year, while also setting a school record with 67 draw controls. Lauren Sullivan is ND's top returning scorer after registering 29 points (26 goals, three assists) in 2013. The former BIG EAST foe has won all five previous meetings.
- The marks the first of six road games to open the season for the Bearcats. After visiting South Bend, UC will make a weekend swing through the Sunshine State for games at Stetson and Florida. The Bearcats visit the Hatters on Friday, Feb. 21, before moving on to play the Gators on Sunday, Feb. 23.