Bearcats Fall To Wisconsin 2-1
gobearcats.COM Emily Hebbeler
Emily Hebbeler

Sept. 4, 2011

Box Score

CINCINNATI - Senior forward Emily Hebbeler (Park Hills, Ky./Notre Dame Academy) scored her second goal of the season, but it was not enough as the University of Cincinnati women's soccer team fell to University of Wisconsin-Madison 2-1 Sunday afternoon at Gettler Stadium.

Cincinnati (2-2-2) took an early 1-0 lead, but the Badgers earned the match's final two goals, including an own goal by UC following a Wisconsin (4-1-0) corner kick in the 68th minute put the Bearcats in a 2-1 disadvantage it ultimately could not overcome.

A corner kick from senior defender Kelli Pawelko (Lemont, Ill./Lemont) in the 27th minute set up Cincinnati's first goal of the match. Freshman midfielder Christi Howard's (Cincinnati, Ohio/Anderson) header off the corner kick was blocked. Freshman forward Mackenzie Grause (Ft. Thomas, Ky./Highlands) shot off the rebound was saved, but Hebbeler corralled the ball and struck it in the left side of the goal.

UC's lead lasted just nine minutes after, in the 36th minute, Wisconsin senior forward Laurie Nosbush connected on a shot from the top of the box that went past a dive attempt from UC freshman goalkeeper Kristina Utley (Castro Valley, Calif./Castro Valley) and into the lower right corner of the goal. Utley finished the match with three saves.

Cincinnati outshot Wisconsin 14-10, the fifth match this season UC had more shot attempts than its opponent. Additionally, the Bearcats held a 7-6 advantage in corner kicks.

The Bearcats' most opportune second-half scoring chances came from breakaways by Hebbeler and sophomore forward Jazmine Rhodes in the early moments of the final 45 minutes, but both came up empty.  

Both teams played physical soccer throughout the match, which featured a combined 19 fouls and two yellow cards.

The Bearcats will head to South Carolina next week to play in the College of Charleston Tournament. Their first match will be at 7:30 p.m. ET Friday against College of Charleston, followed by a Sunday noon kickoff vs. Coastal Carolina.

NOTE: The match did not begin until 12:34 p.m. due to a lightning delay. After 1 minute, 34 seconds of play began in the first half, a second lightning delay began that lasted 35 minutes. Play finally resumed at 1:10 p.m.