Hoyas Top Bearcats 2-1 In D.C.
Fr. F Mackenzie Grause

Oct. 7, 2011

Box Score

WASHINGTON, D.C. – Freshman forward Mackenzie Grause (Ft. Thomas, Ky./Highlands) scored her sixth goal of the season, but in losing fashion as the University of Cincinnati women’s soccer team fell to Georgetown University 2-1 Friday afternoon at North Kehoe Field.

In the 41st minute, Bearcat junior midfielder Katie Johnson (Cincinnati, Ohio/Ursuline) served a pass from the top left corner of the box toward Grause just outside the six-yard box. Grause received the pass and sneaked a shot past GU goalkeeper Elizabeth Hanna, giving UC a 1-0 advantage.

The Bearcats lead did not last after Georgetown senior forward Camille Trujillo scored two goals within a six-minute span in the early part of the second half to put the Hoyas ahead. Both of Trujillo’s goals came off assists from GU senior midfielder Ingrid Wells.

A yellow card on senior defender Erin Kauffman (Wayland, Mass./Wayland) in the opening minute of the second half set up a free kick for Wells from 25 yards out on the far left outside corner of the box. Wells found Trujillo in the right side of the box and Trujillo quickly shot the ball past UC goalkeeper Kristina Utley (Castro Valley, Calif./Castro Valley), tying the score at 1-1.

In the 52nd minute, Wells forwarded a long cross serve to Trujillo, who moved the ball up inside the right side of the box and fired a shot to the left corner of the goal past Utley to give the Hoyas a 2-1 lead.

Georgetown won the battle of shot attempts 23-10, including 11 shots on goal compared to Cincinnati’s six. Cincinnati did not take its first shot until the 27th minute.

The Hoyas also recorded five corner kicks compared to UC’s three.

Play was momentarily stopped for several minutes at the 56:53 after a U.S. helicopter landed on a helipad adjacent to the field.

Cincinnati (5-6-4, 1-4-2 BIG EAST) continues its two-match road trip Sunday when it takes on Villanova University at 1 p.m. at West Campus Soccer Complex in Villanova, Pa.