Women's Soccer |
Aug. 16, 2012
Cincinnati at Elon | Friday, Aug. 17 | 7 p.m. | Elon, N.C. | Live Stats
Cincinnati at N.C. State | Sunday, Aug. 19 | 1 p.m. | Raleigh, N.C.| Live Stats
Setting the Scene:
• Cincinnati begins the 2012 regular season with road matches at Elon (Aug. 17 - 7 p.m.) and at N.C. State
(Aug. 19 - 1 p.m.), both in North Carolina.
• Cincinnati is 22-10 in regular season openers.
• The Bearcats have outscored their opponents by a combined 77-34 in the first match of the season.
• Cincinnati and Elon will be playing for the first time Friday.
• N.C. State and UC have played six matches all time. The Wolfpack own a 2-3-1 advantage in the series, with
the last match played in 1999.
Youth and Experience:
• 17 of Cincinnati's 27 players are underclassmen.
• Five sophomores on the roster started at least 12 matches in 2011. Four of the five started all 19 matches.
• Sophomore forward Mackenzie Grause led the Bearcats in points (6 goals, 3 assists).
• Sophomore goalkeeper Kristina Utley finished second in the BIG EAST Conference in total saves with 91 last
• Six freshmen on the roster are expected to play significant minutes, with as many as four in the starting
Hitting the Century Mark:
• UC head coach Michelle Salmon recorded her 100th career win Aug. 26, 2011 after UC defeated
Northwestern University 2-1 during the Northwestern Tournament at Lakeside Field in Evanston, Ill.
• UC played two preseason exhibtion matches, which both ended in 1-1 draws.
• The Bearcats played Kent State on Aug. 7, which saw the Golden Flashes tie the score in the final minute of
• Cincinnati and Illinois, the 2011 Big Ten Champions and preseason No. 19 ranked team, squared off on Aug.
10. Each team scored in the first half, including junior midfielder Emily Elsbrock's one-timer in the 41st
• Last season, UC ranked 62nd in attendance out of 375 NCAA Division I programs with an average crowd of
• The Bearcats played in front of a sold out crowd of 1,400 at Gettler Stadium on Sept. 18, 2011 vs. Notre
Dame, the first sell out in Gettler history.
• Cincinnati's match vs. Xavier on Aug. 21, 2012 drew a crowd of 1,262, which previously was the Gettler
Stadium record for a women's soccer match.