Bearcats Fall in a Pair of Road Matches|
March 5, 2006
ITHACA, N.Y. -- The University of Cincinnati tennis team dropped a pair of 6-1 decisions in New York, falling to Rutgers on Saturday and Cornell on Sunday.
As was the case on Friday and in the first three matches of the season, the Bearcats (0-14) were forced to play with just four healthy singles players, meaning UC forfeited one doubles match and two singles matches.
In both matches, the one point for UC came from senior Jill Klauck playing at No. 3 singles. On Friday, playing Rutgers (5-3) at Syracuse, Klauck recovered from losing the first set to Alina Balasa to win, 2-6, 6-3, 10-7. The doubles matches were both battles, as Klauck and Lindsay Willeford and Hannah Hinton and Elizabeth Young both fell by 8-6 scores.
On Sunday at Cornell (5-1), the forfeit was the difference in the doubles point. At No. 1, Willeford and Madison Reasoner defeated Mollie Edinson and Shayna Miller, 8-5. At No. 2, Hinton and Young were edged by the same score. In singles, Klauck topped Tamara John, 6-3, 6-1.
The Bearcats are now off until Saturday, April 1, when they host Dayton at the UC Tennis Center at 1 p.m.
Rutgers 6, Cincinnati 1
Cornell 6, Cincinnati 1
March 5, 2006 - Ithaca, N.Y.
1. Mollie Edinson (CU) d. Elizabeth Young (CIN) 6-0,6-1
2. Kasia Preneta (CU) d. Lindsay Willeford (CIN) 6-1,6-0
3. Jill Klauck (CIN) d. Tamara John (CU) 6-3,6-1
4. Catherine Duboc (CU) d. Madison Reasoner (CIN) 6-4,7-6(3)
5. Cornell wins by default
6. Cornell wins by default
1. Klauck/Willeford (CIN) d. Edinson/Shayna Miller (CU) 8-5
2. Preneta/Liying Wang (CU) def Young/ Hannah Hinton (CIN) 8-5
3. Cornell wins by default