Women's Tennis |
March 6, 2014
CINCINNATI - The University of Cincinnati women’s tennis team fell to No. 59-ranked Ohio State on Wednesday evening in Columbus.
The loss drops the Bearcats to 5-9 on the season while the Buckeyes improve to 7-4 on the spring this spring.
The Bearcats were sweep during doubles play giving the Buckeyes an early 1-0 lead. Ferny Angeles Paz and Miho Kowase started off the scoring for Ohio State when they took down the duo of Katya Bure (Springfield, N.J./Jonathan Dayton) and Carly Wilson (Forth Mitchell, Ky./Beechwood) 8-0. The victory gives Paz and Kowase their fifth straight doubles win on the season. Gabriella De Santis and Sandy Niehaus would follow up by defeating Ashleigh Witte (West Chester, Ohio/Lakota West) and Lauren Bellinger (Dublin, Ohio/Dublin Jerome) 8-2.
The tandem of Noelle Malley and Grainne O’Neil would conclude the sweep during doubles after they fought back from being down 5-2 in the match, using a 6-2 run to defeat Kelly Poggensee- Wei (Lake Villa, Ill/Grayslake North) and Caitlin O’Gara 8-7 (3).
Poggensee Wei gave the Bearcats their lone point of the evening after she defeated Gabriella De Santis 6-1, 6-4. Witte’s streak of five-straight singles wins came to an end Wednesday after falling to Miho Kowase 6-3, 6-3.
Cincinnati will be traveling to San Juan, Puerto Rico during the week of spring break for their next match.
Cincinnati vs Ohio State
Mar 05, 2014 at Columbus, Ohio (Varsity Tennis Center)
#59 Ohio State 6, Cincinnati 1
1. Kelly Poggensee-Wei (UC) def. Gabriella De Santis (OSU) 6-1, 6-4
2. Miho Kowase (OSU) def. Ashleigh Witte (UC) 6-3, 6-3
3. Ferny Angeles Paz (OSU) def. Caitlin O'Gara (UC) 6-3, 6-1
4. Sandy Niehaus (OSU) def. Katya Bure (UC) 6-2, 6-1
5. Nicole Flower (OSU) def. Hannah Wille (UC) 6-1, 6-0
6. Grainne O'Neill (OSU) def. Carly Wilson (UC) 6-0, 6-0
1. Noelle Malley/Grainne O'Neill (OSU) def. Kelly Poggensee-Wei/Caitlin O'Gara (UC) 8-7 (7-3)
2. Gabriella De Santis/Sandy Niehaus (OSU) def. Ashleigh Witte/Lauren Bellinger (UC) 8-2
3. Ferny Angeles Paz/Miho Kowase (OSU) def. Katya Bure/Carly Wilson (UC) 8-0
Ohio State 7-4, 1-0 B1G; National ranking #59
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (6,5,4,1,2,3)