Women's Tennis |
March 24, 2009
CINCINNATI - The University of Cincinnati women's tennis team earned its 10th win of the season Tuesday at St. John's University, 5-2, as it opened a Spring Break four-match BIG EAST Conference road trip.
St. John's opened the match winning the doubles point with a three-match sweep.
The Bearcats roared back in singles action winning five of the six matches, all in straight sets. Ksenia Slynko, Valeriya Dandik, and Safiyya Ismail all picked up their second win in league play.
The win moves the Bearcats to 2-1 in the BIG EAST and 10-6 overall. The road trip continues Wednesday as UC crosses the Hudson River to South Orange, N.J. to take on Seton Hall at 2 p.m.
UC: 5 St. John's: 2
1. Ksenia Slynko (UC) defeats Aleksova (SJU) 6-3, 6-2
2. Jenny Rowen (UC) defeats Gasuinaite (SJU) 6-3, 6-2
3. Valeriya Dandik (UC) defeats Firat (SJU) 6-1, 6-3
4. Safiyya Ismail (UC) defeats Mikhaylova (SJU) 6-2, 6-1
5. Zwirbulis (SJU) defeats Jessica Wise (UC) 6-3, 7-5
6. Elizabeth Young (UC) defeats Yonkus (SJU) 6-3, 7-5
1. Yonkus/Zwirbulis (SJU) defeats Slynko/Dandik (UC) 9-8 (7-4)
2. Mikhaylova/Gasiunaite (SJU) defeats Rowen/Young (UC) 8-4
3. Wise/Ismail (SJU) defeats Liantonia/Austin (UC) 8-0
UC Record: 10-6 (2-1 BIG EAST)