Women's Tennis |
April 1, 2006
CINCINNATI - The Bearcats were able to pull out of an 14-match losing slump today with a win against the Dayton Flyers.
The Bearcats (1-14) saw the doubles point insight after the first two matches. In the first match, Lindsay Willeford and Jill Klauck beat UD's Allysa Detroy and Kate Mellion. Elizabeth Young and Hannah Hinton were able to pull away from Megan Gray and Nicole Dzubay, 8-1, to win No. 2.The third and final match would not come so easily. Madison Reasoner and Jennifer Kelly tied up, 7-7, with Dayton's Carrie Trigilio and Mackenzie Hoops. Reasoner and Kelly were able to pull away in the tiebreaker, 8-6.
The singles didn't start out well for the Bearcats. Willeford was defeated by Dayton's Detroy, but Willeford forced it to three sets. Young started a four match winning streak that led to UC's first victory of the season. She beat Kate Mellion in two sets, 6-2, 6-4. Hinton and Klauck both defeated their opponents in two set matches as well. The fourth win was a hard fought battle between Reasoner and Andrea Muresan. In the fifth and final match, UD's Trigilio defeated UC's Carling Arundel.
The Bearcats continue play at Lindner Family Tennis Center at Lunken Playfield next Saturday against Marshall. Then Thursday they will host cross-town rival Xavier. The games are tentatively scheduled to be played on UC Courts.
Cincinnati 5, Dayton 2
April 1, 2006 - Lindner Family Tennis Center
1. Allysa Detroy (UD) d. Lindsay Willeford (CIN) 3-6, 6-2, 6-0
2. Elizabeth Young (CIN) d. Kate Mellion (UD) 6-2, 6-4
3. Hannah Hinton (CIN) d. Nicole Dzubay (UD) 6-0, 6-1
4. Jill Klauck (CIN) d. Megan Gray (UD) 6-2, 6-2
5. Madison Reasoner (CIN) d. Andrea Muresan (UD) 6-7 (1), 6-4, 1-0 (10-2)
6. Carrie Trigilio (UD) d. Carling Arundel (CIN) 6-0, 6-1
1. Klauck/Willeford (CIN) d. Detroy/Mellion (UD) 8-4
2. Young/Hinton (CIN) d. Gray/Dzubay (UD) 8-1
3. Reasoner / Jennifer Kelly (CIN) d. Trigilio/Mackenzie Hoops (UD) 8-7 (8-6)