Women's Tennis |
April 1, 2009
CINCINNATI – The University of Cincinnati women’s tennis team rallied and pulled out a thrilling 4-3 win at crosstown rival Xavier University as Jennifer Rowen won the deciding match in the No. 2 slot 7-6 (5), 0-6, 7-6 (4).
Xavier jumped out to a 1-0 lead on UC sweeping the doubles point 8-3, 8-3, and 8-5.
Cincinnati stormed back in singles play as Valeriya Dandik, Safiyya Ismail, and Elizabeth Young each captured their singles contests in straight sets to even the match at 3-3.
The match came down to Rowen in No. 2 singles. After Rowen, the reigning BIG EAST Conference Player of the Week, took the first set of the match 7-6 in a tie break, Tiffany Treece from Xavier quickly evened the match at one set each winning the second, 6-0. In the third set, Rowen dug deep and battled throughout and won the match with a 7-6 (4) victory in the final set.
UC (14-6, 5-1 BIG EAST) closes out the regular season a week from Friday on April 10 and 11 taking on Pittsburgh and DePaul, respectively, at the Trabert-Talbert Tennis Center on Cincinnati’s campus.
1. Courtney (XU) def. Ksenia Slynko (UC) 6-2, 4-6, 6-0
2. Jennifer Rowen (UC) def. Treece (XU) 7-6 (5), 0-6, 7-6 (4)
3. Valeriya Dandik (UC) def. Kinnard (XU) 7-6 (7), 6-2
4. Safiyya Ismail (UC) def. Ducro (XU) 6-3, 6-0
5. Zinn (XU) def. Jessica Wise (UC) 4-6, 6-3, 6-4
6. Elizabeth Young (UC) def. Feider (XU) 6-0,6-4
1. Kinnard/Treece (XU) def. Dandik/Slynko (UC) 8-3
2. Courtney/Feider (XU) def. Rowen/Young (UC) 8-3
3. Ducro/Seyalioglu (XU) def. Wise/Ismail (UC) 8-5